802.1Q Tunneling (Q-in-Q) Configuration Example

Hello Mr. René Molenaar; thank you already for the course and I announce in passing that I have validated my CCNP 350-401 indeed I am doing revisions for the purpose of a job interview but also in order to prepare the ENARSI 300- 410 . my concern is this why can 802.1Q be tunneled and in what context is it advisable to think of this technology instead of the other (please enlighten me on a similar technology)? because you can ask me…

Bonjour monsieur René Molenaar ; merci déjà pour le cours et je vous annonce en passant que j’ai validé mon CCNP 350-401
en effet je suis entrain de faire des révision dans le but d’un entretien d’embauche mais aussi afin de préparer le ENARSI 300-410 . ma préoccupation est celle-ci pourquoi déployer le tunnelisation 802.1Q et dans quel contexte c’est conseillé de penser à cette technologie au lieu de l’autre ( veillez m’éclairer sur une technologie similaire ) ? parce que l’on pourra me poser la question de pourquoi j’aurai opté ça au lieu de l’autre , j’espère que ma question est compréhensive ? merci d’avance

Hello Osema

Take a look at the diagram from the lesson once again:

The traffic that is sent from R1 reaches R2 on layer 2. From end to end, this is a Layer 2 connection, and thus no routing is involved.

I believe you are asking if within the ISP’s infrastructure, if you can have any routing, say between SW1, SW2, and SW3. What if that infrastructure is composed of dozens or hundreds of routers? Then it would make sense that the QinQ tunnel can be transmitted over a routed underlay infrastructure.

The answer is yes, you can do this, and you will find that ISPs will indeed have a Layer 3 underlay that carries Layer 2 traffic that goes end to end, much like QinQ does.

How would you do this? Well there are several ways. MPLS is one type of underlay network that can carry multiple types of data. Here’s a lesson that explains this further:

Alternatively, you can use L2TP to tunnel layer 2 over a Layer 3 network. This NetworkLessons note has more info on this protocol.

Another option is to use L2VPN or VPLS, again, more about which you can learn at this NetworkLessons note.

Keep in mind that all of these options are not limited to being used with QinQ, but are able to transport all types of Layer 2 traffic over a Layer 3 Underlay network.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hello Charles

Congratulations for passing the ENCOR 350-401 course, that’s a great accomplishment! I hope we can continue to help you along the way for both your ENARSI 300-410 and your job interviews.

Concerning your question, QinQ is typically used by a telco when delivering Metro Ethernet at Layer 2. It is ideal when your customers have multiple VLANs that they want to share among their multiple buildings. By tunneling all of the VLANs of the customer through a single VLAN on the telco infrastructure, you don’t have to worry about duplicate or interfering VLAN IDs between the customer and the telco, or between multiple customers.

A very practical example I can give you is one with which I have worked. In the city I live in, a municipal fiber optic network was deployed about ten years ago that is used to interconnect all public services. The municipality has about 12 buildings throughout the city that are consolidated into a single network with various VLANs (voice data and others) used across all sites. The fiber optic network, with Cisco devices at all the nodes, uses QinQ to keep all of the VLANs of the municipality tunneled on VLAN 35. Similarly, hospitals, schools, and other entities each have their own VLAN on the fiber optic network through which they tunnel all of their VLANs. That way you keep each customer separate while delivering Layer 2 connectivity to them.

Laz

Hello,

I was wondering about the L2-tunnel cdp command. How was that working when you had the no cdp enable command configured as well?

Thank you
Greg

Hello Gregory

First of all, I think the command you’re looking for is l2protocol-tunnel cdp. This command will cause an interface to encapsulate any received CDP messages within the QinQ tunnel. In other words, it won’t receive them and process them as if the interface itself is the intended destination, but it will encapsulate them and tunnel them through without processing them as CDP messages.

If you configure the no cdp enable command on that same interface, it will not cause any conflict in operation. This command tells the interface not to participate in any CDP communication. So it won’t generate any CDP messages, and it won’t process any messages it may receive.

If CDP messages are tunneled, then it won’t process any CDP messages anyway since all received CDP messages are encapsulated in the tunnel and sent along their way.

So these two commands are not incompatible. Looking at the lesson, the no cdp enable command was not actually used anywhere. Where did you encounter it?

You can find out more info about how to tunnel CDP and other Layer 2 protocols in such a scenario, take a look at this Cisco command reference:

Laz

Hi Rene,

I have tried the lab in GNS3, and everything seemed to work just fine until I get to verify the dot1q tunnel on the switches. Then it won’t accept the command show dot1q-tunnel; the only command that’s available is show dot1x. My question is, what switches have you used in this lab? Can I use the same switch in GN3? If not, how can I do it without having the physical switch?
Thank you so much.

Hello Yannick

Typically, Rene uses Cisco Modeling Labs (CML), and in the past used Cisco VIRL for the practical parts of the labs. In particular, the currently available virtual switch version is:

Cisco IOS Software, vios_l2 Software (vios_l2-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Experimental Version 15.2(20200924:215240) [sweickge-sep24-2020-l2iol-release 135]

This particular image has the show dot1q-tunnel command available:

SW2#show dot1?
dot1q-tunnel  dot1x  

SW2#show dot1q
SW2#show dot1q-tunnel ?
  interface  specify an interface
  |          Output modifiers
  <cr>

Can you share with us your particular platform and IOS version that you are attempting this configuration on? Does your platform support the rest of the commands in this lesson? I find it interesting that Q-in-Q is supported, but this specific command is not. Let us know more so that we can further advise you on how to proceed to get the most out of the equipment you have available.

Laz

Is there any difference between using Cisco Modeling Labs (CML), and Cisco VIRL images?

Hello Yannick

I’m surprised that your setup doesn’t allow for the show dot1q-tunnel command. I would have thought that it would be available on almost all images and under all implementations because it is a very basic functionality. In any case, I can’t answer why it’s not available in your particular setup.

Now concerning VIRL and CML images, both VIRL and CML use the same type of virtual machine images to emulate various Cisco operating systems for network simulation. So at a fundamental level, the images used by VIRL and CML do not differ significantly.

However, there might be differences in terms of the specific versions of images that are supported by each platform. CML, being the newer platform, might support newer image versions or have better optimization for certain images. It’s also possible that some older VIRL images may not be compatible with CML, especially if they’ve been deprecated in the newer platform.

However, I don’t believe that the use of VIRL or CML should have an impact on such a basic functionality and command set as those for Q-in-Q. So I don’t believe that the problem here has to do with the use of CML or VIRL images. I’m sorry that I could not have been of more help for you!

I hope this has been (somewhat) helpful!

Laz

It has been. Thanks for your time and keep up the good work.

1 Like

Is this still required for the current CCNP ENCOR in 2024? I cannot see this is the OCG and outline for the exam.

Hello Artur

Cisco includes a disclaimer with their exam blueprints that always leaves a window open for them to add related technologies and information. In the Infrastructure - Layer 2 section (3.1) I could see them including something about 802.1Q Tunneling.

So although it is not explicitly stated in the blueprint, there is a good possibility that it may come up.

Laz

Hi Laz,

Ah that is true. Was a bit surprised as I never heard of this topic before. Besides, doesn’t hurt to know more then you need :slight_smile:

Artur.

1 Like