Any Transport Over MPLS (AToM)

(Bounpasong P) #14

hi Rene
thank you very much, I like your post very much @_@

Bounpasong

(Rafael N) #15

Hi Rene !

Excellent lesson !

Could you please do a lesson about VPLS, VPWS and the diferrence between them and between MPLS L2VPN ?

Rafael

(Georgi T) #16

Rene

great example but I do have a question for you . can we call this also L2TPv3 or EoMPLS as well ?I really get confused between those descriptions .Can you please explain it to me if there are any differences ?

thanks

(Andrew P) #17

Hi Georgi,
These terms all start to run together don’t they?

First, let’s talk about AToM vs EoMPLS. EoMPLS is AToM that is transporting a specific protocol (Ethernet). AToM is capable of transporting other layer 2 protocols as well, so it has a more broad meaning. The confusion is that most people use Ethernet at layer 2, so in that case EoMPLS and AToM appears to be the same thing. Think of it this way: EoMPLS is a specific kind of AToM just like a Poodle is a specific kind of Dog.

Now let’s talk about L2TPv3 vs EoMPLS. These are both trying to accomplish the same thing: Extend a layer 2 boundary across a WAN, but they use different protocols to do it. Each has their own pro’s and con’s. Here are a few highlights:

EoMPLS
Pros:
Wide hardware support
Better traffic engineering control

Cons:
Requires end-to-end MPLS configuration, which is usually more expensive to the customer

L2TPv3
Pros:
Any IP based Internet connection is supported (DSL, Cable Modem, etc)
Less expensive than MPLS

Cons:
Newer technology, so not as widely supported as EoMPLS

1 Like
(Romain F) #18

Hello Rene,

I have the same message as Bounpasong:

PE1(config-if)#xconnect 3.3.3.3 13 encapsulation mpls
Incompatible with ip address command on Fa2/0 - command rejected.

I am okay to remove the IP address but OSPF and MPLS will go down…

How did you manage this situation ?

Thanks a lot,
Kind regards,
Romain

(Marek O) #19

Hi Rene / Andrew
Another awesome job / lesson
I re-created the scenario, but I can see we will have an MTU problem- I understand the obvious next step would be to increase it on MPLS enabled interfaces because of additional overhead ?
What would be recommended size of MTU on them ? 1526 bytes?
Thank you
Marek

(Andrew P) #20

I believe ip mtu 1456 would do the trick, and here’s why:

1500 (default) - 20 (TCP Header) - 20 (IP Header) - 4 (MPLS Label) = 1456

(sanjiv s) #21

Hi Rene,

At HQ and Branch there is L2 connection.

If yes then how we are giving ip address on this interface.

Regards,
Sanjiv

(Andrew P) #22

Sanjiv,
You are right that ATOM uses an layer 2 (really a layer “2.5”) encapsulation via MPLS. Because of this, the provider network has no knowledge of what is happening at higher layers. This means you can treat the HQ and Branch interfaces just like you would any other ethernet port–just assign IP addresses normally.

(Davis W) #23

Hi Rene,

If my network backbone is not support Jumbo Frame, but i want to run the EOMPLS.

Definitely there’s MTU issue, how we can address this? Can we set any IP PMTU or IP MTU for this EOMPLS?

Davis

(Andrew P) #24

Davis,
With a network backbone that doesn’t support jumbo frames (meaning frames larger than 1500), you might have some trouble. Common practice is to set the entire core to support an MTU of 9216. You would have to support 14 bytes for Ethernet, 4 bytes for a VLAN tag (if you are using 802.1Q), 4 bytes for MPLS. So, far, that is 22 bytes of overhead, which would reduce your payload size to 1478. Whether you can force your MTU down so your core won’t exceed 1500 bytes, I just don’t know.

I did find an article that might be of help, though:
http://www.netcraftsmen.com/working-with-eompls/

In the article, it states that the MTU on the physical ports must be set to at least 1504, and that the x-connect protocol actually checks to see whether the other end of the circuit has the same MTU.

(Davis W) #25

Ok. Noted.

Thanks Andrew.

(Shantel - Networklessons.com) split this topic #27

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Any Transport Over MPLS (AToM)

(Mohammad Hasanuz Zaman) #29

Hi Rene,

Need your awesome lesson regarding VPLS/HVPLS/MPLS-TE very soon .The topic need to learn badly & you know your write up is simply excellent as compared to any other , Challenge !!! .So ,eagerly waiting for your excellent lesson.Thx

br//zaman

1 Like
(bahri a) #30

hi
i think i find it .
thanks…

1 Like
(Ray J) #31

wt’s the difference between AToM vs VPLS?

(Lazaros Agapides) #32

Hello Ray

Both AToM and VPLS are technologies that are enabled by MPLS. As such they are related, but are each distinct and used for slightly varying purposes.

AToM is an open standards based architecutre that leverages the label switching architecture of MPLS. It can be integrated into any network that is running MPLS. The major advantage is that it can connect any technology (Frame relay, ATM, IP, Ethernet) so the customer doesn’t need to change anything. They don’t even need to run IP to the edge of the network to connect. Now AToM is a point to point service and thus cannot support broadcast frames.

VPLS on the other hand is a technology that does support multipoint to multipoint topologies. It is specifically geared towards applications that require multipoint and broadcast access.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

(Karthik N) #33

Hi,

I’m wondering what is the exact benefit of using targeted LDP session, especially in the case of AToM. Why we need targeted LDP session between PE routers, I think even if we dont have targeted LDP session we can pass traffic through hop by hop learning.

Regards
Karthik N

(Lazaros Agapides) #34

Hello Karthik

A targeted LDP session is required between LSRs that are not directly connected. This is especially true concerning an AToM network. Specifically, an LDP session must exist between each pair of PE routers. The remote LDP session is actually set up when the xconnect command is initiated on the PE routers of the AToM network.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

(Karthik N) #35

Thank you for reply post.

Yes, its requirement for AToM we must have targeted LDP session, but the technical standpoint whats the benefit/value add of having targeted LDP session ?

I read it will protect the session for longer time compared to directly connected LDP session, apart from that I unable to come up with any reason why we need this.

Regards
Karthik N