Bandwidth vs Bandwidth Remaining

Hello José

Yes, I see the confusion. Let me clarify my statement. QoS mechanisms that use DSCP and CoS values to make their decisions require that the DSCP and CoS information exists. For Layer 2 QoS, only tagged frames can participate in QoS because the CoS value exists within the tag. Therefore, only trunk ports (which use tagged frames) can apply Layer 2 QoS policies. For Layer 3 QoS where DSCP values are used, using a policy map as in this lesson, it is possible to queue packets with a particular priority based on the DSCP values found in the IP header. Typically, a Layer 2 port will not be able to “read” information in the Layer 3 header, however, there are switch models with the appropriate IOS that are able to read those Layer 3 DSCP values and queue accordingly.

The priority command in the QoS LLQ lesson is used to define the priority queue within the LLQ scheme. Using that keyword makes all packets that match bypass the CBWFQ scheduler. The police rate command here is simply defining a rate at which to police traffic. However, the important thing here is that it is put under a priority level command. As shown below, the priority level command enables you to configure multiple priority queues. In this case, Rene has only created one, but it is essentially the same as using the priority command in the LLQ lesson.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/qos/command/reference/qos_book/qos_n1.html#wp1049085

Yes, thanks for that, I’ll let Rene know to make the correction.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like