Cisco 3G Wireless WAN Configuration Example

You sure can, as long as you have a signal :slight_smile:

Do you know if it is possible, via IOS, to show the details for all visible cells - not merely that to which the unit is currently registered…? Could be handy for geolocating a remote device…

Hi Ben,

Not that I know of…I checked all the cellular commands but I think it only shows the cell that it is connected to.

Rene

Hey
How can I find out how good my signal strength is of a router that is Connected some were?
Sorry for bad English…

The show cellular 0/1/0 radio command will do the job but you need to have access to the CLI of the router.

Great explanation! I have almost identical configuration, and connection is established (got IP and DNS addresses) , but I can’t ping anything from router via Dialer interface. I can’t even ping Dialer’s address (which I got from ISP and can be seen with sh ip int brief command) itself???

Hi Rene, I really enjoy your site full of plenty useful clear and easy to read information…

One quite question:

Does this HWIC-3G-GSM WAN card supports 1700 series cisco routers…

That’s all…

Thanks

typo; Not (quite but quick ) above…
Thanks

Hi Dwain,

You are welcome. The HWIC-3G-GSM WAN card is not supported on the 1700 router. For each interface card you can find the supported platforms. In this case:

Modular Cisco 1841, 1861, 1900, 2800, 2900, 3800 and 3900 Integrated Services Routers

You can find it here:

Cisco High-Speed WAN Interface Cards

Rene

Hi Darko,

If you get an IP address then your connection itself should be OK. How about a default route? Is it pointing towards the ISP / out of the dialer interface?

Rene

Rene,
I’ve found where is problem. The ISP allows me to communicate (ping) with only specified range of ip addresses within my APN. A communication with them works like a charm and that is exactly what I need! Thanks for great lessons and really quick answers!

Hi Rene,

When i do a show cell 0/1/0 hardware on my HWIC-3G_GSM it comes up with the following output:

Modem Firmware Version = 
Modem Firmware built = 
Hardware Version = 
International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI) = 00000
International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) = 
Integrated Circuit Card ID (ICCID) = 
Mobile Subscriber International Subscriber
IDentity Number (MSISDN) = 
Factory Serial Number (FSN) = 
Modem Status = Offline
Current Modem Temperature = 0 deg C, State = Normal
PRI SKU ID = 0, SKU Rev. = 0.0
R2851#

It shows that there is no firmware installed. Does this represent a problem?

Matt.

Hi Matt,

I don’t think it’s an issue. There are different radios, firmware and IOS versions. It could be a cosmetic bug.

You might want to configure it, see if it works. If it doesn’t, you could try to install the latest firmware and/or try another IOS image.

Rene

Hi, I have a doubt an ISP is going to install an APN for some links what I have to configure on my LAN to receive the APN?

Hmm good question, I doubt you can automatically receive the APN. Normally we configure it manually on the router.

Hi Rene, i am trying to play with 4g-lte-ga and when Im trying to configure

dialer pool-member 1

i get

%Remove Leagacy DDR configuration first

can you help me out here please ?

thanks

Hello Maksym

It seems that Legacy Dial-on-Demand routing (DDR) is configured on the router. This means that one or more of the following commands are enabled on the router:

In Global Configuration mode:

dialer dtr or dialer inband <em>parity</em>

On some interface:

dialer string ...
dialer map
dialer-list
dialer-group
dialer enable-timeout
dialer wait-for-carrier-time
dialer priority

Check both physical and virtual (dialer and otherwise) interfaces for any such configurations and remove them.

You might find some additional information here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/dial/configuration/guide/fdial_c/dafspoke.html#wp1000999

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Cisco 3G Wireless WAN Configuration Example

Hi Guys,

For some reason my cellular interface on the router is not telnet/ssh able.
When the cellular interface comes up its pingable but we cant telnet/ssh it.

Did a wire shark,

tcp syn
tcp syn ack
ack
sshv2

then loads of the errrors below before timing out.

5591	283.604252	x.x.x.x	x.x.x.x	TCP	82	[TCP Retransmission] 64464→22 [PSH, ACK] Seq=1 Ack=1 Win=65392 Len=28

Hi @mrleeiian

Any chance the ISP is doing some carrier grade NAT or filtering anything? I’ve had issues like this before with site-to-site IPsec VPNs.

Rene