Cisco ASA Access-List

Hello Syed

Global access lists will apply to all interfaces in an inbound direction. In your interface ACL, you are denying any traffic that is incoming on the INSIDE interface that has a destination IP of 192.168.2.1.

You state here that the “rest is permitted” but you don’t have a permit any any statement at the end of your Gloabl-acl access list. I assume that is a typo.

In this scenario, if you have an incoming packet to the INSIDE interface with a destination IP of 192.168.2.1, it will be dropped. Actually, both access lists (interface and global) deny it, but the interface access list will always take precedence over a global access list. So in this scenario, it is the ALL_INBOUND access list that blocks the packet.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hi , please show me how can I enale telnet on Router?
Please give me full configuration. Thanks!!! =)

Hello Teymur

You can find out detailed information about how to set up remote connectivity, including telnet, on a Cisco IOS router:

Laz

Hi Rene,
I have one doubt on ACL, When we allow traffic from outside to inside …Do we need to allow packet on INISDE interface as a outbound direction OR… only OUTSIDE inbound direction ACL will serve this purpose…?

Hello Amol

In order to allow traffic from the OUTSIDE interface to the INSIDE interface, the access list you create must be applied on the OUTSIDE interface in an inbound direction. If you were to apply it on the INSIDE interface in an outbound direction, the incoming packets would be blocked.

The rule that says “traffic from a lower security level to a higher security level is blocked” would drop packets before they even reached the INSIDE interface for your ACL to take effect.

Laz

Hi,

I have few questions regarding inbound rules for ASA.

Quoted from this chapter.
"When you create an ACL statement for inbound traffic (lower to higher security level) then the destination IP address has to be:
- The translated address for any ASA version before 8.3.
- The real address for ASA 8.3 and newer."

1. Can I permit inbound traffic from Outside to Inside instead of DMZ?
  2. How could client from Outside know the real address in DMZ or Inside? Aren’t all the addresses are always being translated?

Thank you.

Hello PO

Yes. You can permit inbound traffic from a lower security interface to a higher security interface. This is the case for Outside to DMZ as well as Outside to Inside.

The client from the outside doesn’t need to know the real address. The client needs only to know the translated address. However, you as an administrator know the real address in the DMZ, so when you add the ACL, you don’t use the outside address, but the real address. The client will still use the translated address to reach it, but the ACL will reference the real address.

Laz