Cisco ASA Site-to-Site IKEv1 IPsec VPN Dynamic Peer

Hello Rene,
How are you?
I followed the steps for configuring site to site VPN between two sites having commercial routers provided by ISP and cannot seem to establish the connection.
When i generate interesting traffic the status goes to WAIT status and then the connection drops off after a while.
Below is the config:

Remote Site:

crypto ikev1 policy 10
authentication pre-share
encryption aes
hash sha
group 2
lifetime 3600

crypto isakmp identity address 
crypto ikev1 enable OUTSIDE

tunnel-group xxx.xx.xx.xx type ipsec-l2l
tunnel-group xxx.xx.xx.xx ipsec-attributes
ikev1 pre-shared-key xxxxxx

crypto ipsec ikev1 transform-set MY_TRANSFORM_SET esp-aes-256 esp-sha-hmac

access-list REMUERA_VPN extended permit ip 192.168.60.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0
access-list REMUERA_VPN extended permit ip 192.168.61.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.0
access-list REMUERA_VPN extended permit ip 192.168.62.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0

crypto map MY_CRYPTO_MAP 10 match address REMUERA_VPN
crypto map MY_CRYPTO_MAP 10 set peer 219.88.70.89 
crypto map MY_CRYPTO_MAP interface outside

route OUTSIDE 192.168.60.0 255.255.255.0 219.88.70.89

Main Site:

crypto ikev1 policy 10
authentication pre-share
encryption aes
hash sha
group 2
lifetime 3600

crypto isakmp identity address 
crypto ikev1 enable OUTSIDE

tunnel-group DefaultL2LGroup ipsec-attributes
ikev1 pre-shared-key xxxxxx

crypto ipsec ikev1 transform-set MY_TRANSFORM_SET esp-aes-256 esp-sha-hmac

access-list Ellerslie_VPN extended permit ip 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.60.0 255.255.255.0
access-list Ellerslie_VPN extended permit ip 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.61.0 255.255.255.0
access-list Ellerslie_VPN extended permit ip 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.62.0 255.255.255.0

crypto dynamic-map MY_DYNA_MAP 10 set ikev1 transform-set MY_TRANSFORM_SET
crypto dynamic-map MY_DYNA_MAP 10 match address Ellerslie_VPN
crypto dynamic-map MY_DYNA_MAP 10 set reverse-route

Any help here greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Hello Pavan

When implementing the configuration of this lesson on a real world application with commercial ISP routers, you have to keep a few things in mind. In the lesson, the two ASAs were on the same subnet (this subnet simulated the Internet or some other large network), but in the real world, there are various other mechanisms that exist between the two ASAs that can disrupt the formation of a tunnel.

Questions you should consider include:

1. Is NAT running on the commercial routers at each site?
  2. Are the commercial routers running additional firewall features that may be blocking communication?
  3. Are the public IP addresses used on the commercial routers themselves or are the configured on the ASAs? If they are on the commercial routers, are the static?

My suggestion would be that you first ensure that communication between the ASAs’ outside interfaces is successful before you go on. Once that’s done, make sure no other mechanisms (NAT, firewall etc) in the commercial routers is hindering your communication.

One other alternative to test your configuration (if possible) is to bring the two ASAs together and test them by connecting them directly and see if the VPN comes up. If it does, then the problem is indeed at the commercial routers.

Hopefully this will give you some more insight and clues to help you in your troubleshooting procedures…

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hi Rene,
After completing the config, will there be a connection profile created in the ASDM even if the other side is not configured yet.
thanks,

Hello Irfan

Yes, if you create a connection profile using ASDM, it is created, and you can see it, even through the other side is not yet configured.

I hope this has been helpful! Stay healthy and safe!

Laz

1 Like

What am I missing? Where do we put the public ip? The examples use private IP’s. How do the ASA’s know where the other end is with a public ip?

Hello Daniel

Whether you use private addresses such as 10.10.10.0/24 or public addresses such as 147.52.3.0/24, it will make no difference in the actual configuration. For the purposes of this lab, a private address range was chosen, but if you like, in your GNS3 lab, or in your home lab, you can use public addresses as well.

In the real world, how you would configure this depends upon the way in which you connect to the Internet. In some cases, the E0/1 interfaces of the ASAs would be assigned a static public IP address provided to you by the ISP. In others, the ISP may provide you with some termination equipment such as a modem, a router, or a switch to which you must connect your ASA. That termination equipment may have a static or a dynamic public IP address. In such a case you may still be assigned a private address on your ASA, and may have to traverse NAT or some other translation service at your network edge.

In order to make this work, however, you will require to have a static routable IP address on at least one end of the link.

How you will end up creating the link will depend upon the topology of the edge of your network. There are various ways to deal with these scenarios, but for the purpose of this lab, the idea was to understand the configuration of the ASAs for a site to site IPsec VPN.

Laz

1 Like

Hi Team,

I don’t understand why we used IP address on the ASA2 where we did not use it on ASA1:

ASA2(config)# tunnel-group 10.10.10.1 type ipsec-l2l
ASA2(config)# tunnel-group 10.10.10.1 ipsec-attributes

Hello Amit

This lesson deals with the scenario where you have one firewall with a static address, and another firewall with a dynamically assigned address. In the case of the lesson, ASA1 has a static IP address, and since it is static, we know what it is. ASA2 has a dynamically assigned address, and thus we don’t know what it is. It could be anything at any time.

For this reason, this configuration allows you to set up a site-to-site IKEv1 IPsec VPN without the need to know the actual IP address of ASA2. Thus, we specify the IP address to which the ASA2 must connect, that is, the IP address of ASA1. We don’t specify the IP address to which the ASA1 must connect simply because we don’t know it.

The ASA2 initiates the communication such that the ASA1 will be able to dynamically learn the IP address of the other end of the tunnel.

This is a scenario that we find often when we use cable or xDSL connections that don’t have static IP addresses associated with them.

Laz

Hello Team,

Just a general query about VPN on ASA, do we need Access Rules to allow VPN traffic. If not, which configuration is required to allow access to VPN traffic automatically.

Regards,
Justin George

Hello Justin

When creating a VPN on an ASA, you do have to define what traffic is going to be encrypted and sent over the VPN. This is defined using an access list that is then referenced by the crypto map command. In this lesson, this is done using the LAN1_LAN2 access list on ASA1 for traffic going from the ASA1 to the ASA2, and the LAN2_LAN1 access list for traffic in the other direction.

If you want to allow all traffic to be encrypted, you simply change the access list to include all traffic using the “any any” keywords (for any source and any destination). Look at the lesson on Extended Access Lists for more info on that syntax.

Laz

Thanks for your response.

So when comparing to other firewalls. We only need to add the Phase 2 on VPN and no Firewall policy is required. I mean no need to add the VPN subnets on the access-group ACL which is applied on the Interface. Right?

If above is true, then lets assume we have Site-to-Site VPN for Internet via Data Center from ASA. How would I restrict unwanted traffic from Clients to go on Internet.

Thanks,
Justin George

Hello Justin

Yes that is correct. Take a look at this particular lesson, which doesn’t involve dynamic peers. You can see that the access list that defines the traffic that is going to be encrypted (and thus sent through the tunnel) is defined by the access list that is then referenced in the crypto map. This does take place in Phase 2.

Since we are talking about a Site to Site scenario, I assume that when you say “clients” you don’t mean VPN clients, but hosts in a particular network, right? If that is the case, then you don’t need to restrict unwanted traffic by using mechanisms of the site to site VPN. You can do this independently from any VPN configuration, either at the remote location or at the datacenter, using ACLs, or other filtering mechanisms.

Laz

Hello Laz,

Hope you are doing well.

Do we need specific static routes for remote IPs which are used in Phase 2 selectors. I have a default gateway towards the WAN IP.

If it needs a route, what should the route point to.

Regards,
Justin George

Hello Justin

In a typical setup for a site-to-site IPsec VPN using Cisco ASA, you don’t need specific static routes for the remote IPs that are used in phase 2 selectors. The phase 2 “selectors” are essentially the defined address ranges within the crypto ACL that specify the interesting traffic for the VPN. These are the subnets or hosts you wish to protect by the VPN.

When traffic matches the criteria specified in that ACL, the VPN is invoked and the traffic is sent over the tunnel.

The Cisco ASA will route traffic based on its routing table. It checks the destination of the packet and finds the egress interface. If the traffic matches an interesting traffic defined for a VPN tunnel, then the traffic is encrypted and sent through the tunnel. Otherwise, it is routed normally as per the routing table.

So in the context of a dynamic peer setup, where the remote IP can change, the most important factor is the crypto ACL or the “selectors” for the IPsec tunnel, not the static route. You should configure your ACLs to match the expected traffic from your network to the dynamic peer networks.

Your default gateway towards the WAN IP will route normal traffic, and not traffic that is matched by the ACL. That traffic will be encrypted and will be sent through the VPN tunnel. If traffic matches such an ACL, no routing information is necessary, since the VPN is a point-to-point construct. This is further illustrated in this NetworkLessons note about VPN default gateways for clients.

Laz

a little strange , why no twice nat?

Hello Eason

Twice NAT is not always necessary depending on the network configuration and requirements. Twice NAT, or bidirectional NAT, is typically used when both the source and destination IP addresses need to be translated. This is common in complex networks where overlapping IP address spaces exist.

However, in this particular network setup, it is not necessary.

In a real-world scenario where you would have private addresses behind each ASA, you would employ NAT at each ASA, but you would still not need twice NAT. The only time you would need it in a topology similar to the one in the lesson is if you have overlapping address spaces at both remote sites. Here we have non-overlapping IP address spaces.

It’s also worth noting that twice NAT can add complexity to the network and make troubleshooting more difficult. So, unless it’s necessary for your specific network design or requirements, it’s often avoided.

Laz