Cisco IOS DHCP Relay Agent

Hi,
Why after relaying,the source and destination port are the same (67)?

Thank you

When you use DHCP, the client might not have an IP address yet. That’s why it is using DHCP. Somehow, the server has to be able to reach the client (and vice versa). Using the same port number on both ends solves this issue.

Thank you for your support.

Hi Rene,

I had the same doubt as Lakshmi (9reply 11618)regarding the source ip for DHCP relay router to DHCP server.
But then if we think about it , the packets coming from dhcp sever will be destined to router interface and this is the interface where we will rebroadcast the dhcp packet.

In your example, if we use 23.2 as source-ip , then how will router know which interface to re-broadcast the DHCP packets ! We can have multiple relay configured for multiple networks.
Also, in most cases , the DHCP server will not be in connected segment so there will be routing.
By looking at the diagram , it feels that 23.2 source_ip is obvious to avoid static routes for reverse routing but in real life , you will need reverse routing for the relayed packets as DHCP server will be located centrally (most often for relays)

That’s what I could think of.

Please share your thoughts on the same.

Hi Rene,
1)I observed there are multiple “ip helper-address” configured on interface.Is it for redundancy or load sharing.
could you please clarify.

2)One more thing is that secondary IP address configured on same interface with different sub net what is the impact of it?

Thanks
Nilesh

Hi Nilesh,

Yes you can have more than a DHCP server in your network, and normally it should have non-overlapping scopes.
For example:
DHCP server 1: 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.150
DHCP server 2: 192.168.0.151 - 192.168.0.253

If you want to have 2 different networks with 2 different DHCP servers for each network, it is always recommended to use a VLAN for each of the network.

Not sure what your 2nd question for the secondary IP because I don’t have the full configuration of your router.

Hope this can help.

Thanks Rene!
could you please let me know how to configure the IP helper-address over the tunnel ? in case if I have two routers or more.

Regards
Mike

Dear Mike,

Such requests of new lessons, you can post them here: Lesson ideas
Lessons ideas will be voted and Rene can pick up the topics and write lessons.

Thanks

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Cisco IOS DHCP Relay Agent

Rene,

I have one doubt :

When a DHCP Server is on the same subnet, only the Discover msg is a broadcast, the offer, request and the ack are unicast. But when the the DHCP Server is on a different subnet and therefore separated by a router, the DORA msgs between the DHCP client and the Relay agent are all broadcast ? and between the Relay agent and the DHCP server all unicast ?

Hello Juan

When the DHCP server is in the same subnet, the following communications take place:

• DHCPDISCOVER is broadcast on both layer 2 and layer 3 (MAC and IP)
  • DHCPOFFER as a response to the discover is unicast. It uses the MAC address of the original sender as the destination MAC and the proposed IP address as the destination IP (even though the DHCP client does not yet have an IP address assigned. This doesn’t matter since communication is happening at Layer 2 for now since we are on the same subnet)
  • DHCPREQUEST is also broadcast on both Layer 2 and Layer 3. Take a look at this sample wireshark capture of a DHCP Request. Notice the destination MAC and the destination IP are broadcast addresses:
  • DHCPACK from DHCP server to client is also unicast.

Now in the case of a relay agent, refer to the diagram from the lesson. All traffic between the relay agent R1 and the DHCP client H1 remains the same as that described above. However, as stated in the lesson by Rene, the traffic between the R1 and the DHCP server that exists on another subnet is unicast.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

Hello guys,
I wanted to ask if this “giaddress” is the same as the “Relay agent IP address” on a wireshark capture. I was unable to find the variable called “giaddress” in my discover packet that was relayed to the dhcp server. Thank you!

Hello Martha

Yes, the giaddr is the same as the Relay agent IP address as described in Wireshark. The official name of the field in the DHCP packet is indeed GIADDR as described in RFC 2131, but Wireshark simplifies this by describing what the field contains.

Laz

1 Like

Hi Rene,

Please explain more on the DORA process that involves UDP 67 and UDP 68?
Thanks,

Hello Kenneth

During the exchange of DHCP Discovery, Offer, Request, and Acknowledgement (DORA) packets, the communication between the server and the client in this process takes place at various levels of the OSI model. Although DHCP assigned IP (Layer 3) addresses using, in part, MAC (Layer 2) addresses, DHCP is actually an Application layer protocol. The payload of these exchanged packets are found encapsulated within a UDP datagram.

This means that communication that takes place requires addressing at Layer 4, where UDP operates. For this purpose, UDP ports 67 and 68 are used as the server and client ports respectively. So for a Discovery or Request DHCP message, 67 will be the destination port and 68 will be the source port. For Offer and Acknowledgement messages, those ports will be reversed.

This can be more fully understood by examining Wireshark output of DHCP messages. The following is a capture of a DHCP discover message:

Notice that we see Layer 3 IP information, Layer 4 UDP information (with the expected source and destination port numbers), and the Application Layer information found in the Bootstrap Protocol, which is DHCP. (Bootstrap was DHCP’s predecessor, and this name is still there for legacy purposes, whatever that means.)

I suggest you do a search for DHCP messages on cloudshark to further explore the structure of these messages.

Laz

Hello NetworkLessons Team.

I’m studying DHCP and have got an unusual scenario…“An engineer enables ip helper-address on interface. But the router isn’t forwarding the DHCP packets that it receives on this interface. How the engineer can resolve this issue?”

Perhaps in this scenario any default option on the router is disabled. Any idea?

Hello Boris,
the first thing I can think of is to enable the dhcp service using “service dhcp”.

• “service dhcp” is enabled by default
  • “ip helper-address” needs dhcp service to be enabled in order to function
1 Like

Hello Boris

In addition to what @fugazz mentioned, some other things that may cause a DHCP relay agent to fail include:

1. There must be a route from the IP address of the interface to the DHCP server
  2. The interface must be up and must be configured with an IP address
  3. The ip helper-address address configured must be that of an active DHCP server

Laz

1 Like

Thanks you very much.

Hello Laz

Both explanations have been helpful. Thanks a lot.

1 Like