Cisco Portfast Configuration

Hello Cory

Ah, I see, sorry about that, I misread your post. Yes, if you have a Wireless Access Point connected to a trunk, then the only way that a TCN would be generated is if the actual interface goes down. This would result from either the AP powering down, the cable being cut or unplugged, or the switchport being shutdown.

The above is true assuming that the AP is serving end users such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops. If however that AP is actually acting as a wireless bridge connecting to another switch on the other end of the link, then the behavior may be different.

Remember, in classic STP, a TCN will only be generated if a link failure takes place along the active path to the root bridge. If BPDUs are being exchanged across that wireless link, and all of a sudden that link fails, then that would indeed trigger a TCN on the local switch.

Take a look at this NetworkLessons note on what a topology change is and how a TCN is generated. Also, take a look at this note on the topology change process.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz