Cisco SD-WAN Controllers Installation

Hi
i configured all devices from CLI and vmanage can reach vbond normally, but when i try to add vbon from GUI i am getting this err “Failed to add device
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out”
plz advice
thx

I have tried to add vsmart controller as a device on vmanage however am getting errors SDWAN vSmart Failed to add device java.io. connection timeout. However i have added vbond successful and all controllers are reachable

Hey Rene,

It looks like the vSmart1 configuration has a different organization-name from the other two. It wouldn’t join properly in vManage NMS.

1 Like

Hello Justin

Thanks for pointing that out, it may be a typo. I will let Rene know to make any necessary changes.

Thanks again!

Laz

Hi Rane,
Can you please explain why we need to configure tunnel interface to communicate between vManage ,vBond and vSmart.If we have DTLS connections between them , cant we use the physical interface.Actually if I remove the tunnel interface on vManage all the devices (vSmart,vBond) are down.Can you please explain why it behave like that ? Thanks

Hello Manoj

One of the fundamental design characteristics of Cisco’s SD-WAN solution is the fact that it uses an overlay network. This overlay network is created using VPN0 which is the tunnel interface configured in all the devices. It is also the overlay network via which all SD-WAN functionalities and mechanisms take place.

Why do we need it for the vManage, vBond, and vSmart devices to operate? Well, it’s just a matter of design. Could Cisco have designed it so that communication between these devices doesn’t go through the overlay network? Probably yes. However, I believe that they chose to deploy it like this for a couple of reasons:

1. All of the vEdge devices need to communicate over the VPN0 overlay network, and will forward all of their user traffic over that same overlay network. Since communication must take place between the vEdge devices and the various controllers, it only makes sense to allow the controllers to use the same communication paths.
  2. In the lesson, the vManage, vBond, and vSmart are all in the same physical location. What if you want to deploy several of these in other physical locations? By using VPN0 it simplifies such communication in a scenario like that.

These are simply my thoughts about why they did it, and there may be additional reasons, but fundamentally, it is a design choice.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

Hi Rene,

Thanks so much for this lab.
I did the config on the vmanage but unfortunately, I cannot open it through GUI, any ideas?

Thanks and Best regards,
Sarah

Hello Sarah

Can you tell us a little more about what you have done? When you attempt to open the GUI, what do you see? Have you successfully created the certificates as shown in the lesson, or was there a hitch somewhere? Let us know so we can help you troubleshoot further.

Laz

Hi Lazaros,
Thanks for your reply. I created the certificates exactly as shown in the lesson without any errors. Then I tried to open the IP though the browser with no success.
Is there anything else to do?
I am using also EVE Community edition.

Thanks,
Sarah

Hello Sarah,

There are a couple of things that could go wrong. Are you able to ping the IP address of the vManage controller from your PC? If you also can’t ping, it’s a connectivity issue.

Take a look at this picture:

To have connectivity between your PC and vManage directly (not through the console of EVE-NG) you need:

• Port groups in VMware ESX.
  • Cloud interfaces in EVE-NG that map to the correct port-groups.

Also, if your computer is in another subnet than the subnet of your vManage controller, you’ll need to make sure vManage has a static route or default gateway to get out of its own subnet like I did here:

For example:

vmanage(config)# vpn 0
vmanage(config-interface-eth0)# ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.1.0.254

I hope this helps!

Rene

1 Like

how do i add in the biz cloud and biz internet on eve-ng. thank you

Hello Venus

The “clouds” in the network are used in order to simulate specific WAN networks. These could be the Internet, a private WAN, or an MPLS network for example. Within EVE-NG you can create a cloud as an object in the network by going to the left menu bar “Add a new object → Network” and then choosing “Cloud” under the “Type” dropdown box.

As stated in the “Port Groups” section of the EVE-NG installation lesson:

The other three port groups connect to different “cloud” networks that we can use within EVE-NG. We can use these to bridge virtual devices to our physical network. Each of the port groups uses a different VLAN. These cloud icons are useful for SD-WAN because we are going to use them to simulate different WAN connections.

Laz

Hello,
I have installed the certificate on vSmart, but its full details not showing up on the vManage portal.
Can you please suggest?
Thanks

I want to ask that why there are 4 DTLS connection in Vmanage with System IP 0.0.0.0 with numer 1,23 and same thing is with Vbond there are 4 dtls connection but System ip is showing normal…

1 Like

Hello Mohammad

This could be due to any number of issues. I suggest you check the following:

1. Make sure that the steps in the lesson were followed exactly. Try the process again and see what happens. I know it sounds a bit redundant, but I must mention this first.
  2. Check to see that network connectivity to the vSmart device is available
  3. Check the version of your vSmart image, as this can sometimes cause incompatibility issues

You may also find this Cisco documentation on troubleshooting helpful as well:

Laz

Thanks . All Good i was able to add it up on my LAB ^^

1 Like

Hello everyone
I generated a private key. BUT when I tried create a root CA certificate using the private key we just created:

vManage1:~$ openssl genrsa -out ROOT-CA.key 2048
Generating RSA private key, 2048 bit long modulus
e is 65537 (0x10001)
vManage1:~$ openssl req -x509 -new -nodes -key ROOT-CA.key -sha256 -days 3652 \
ab.nwl.ai" \ps://cdn.networklessons.com/C=NL/ST=NL/O=nwl-lab-sdwan/CN=vmanage1.la
> -out ROOT-CA.pem
***Subject does not start with '/'.***
***problems making Certificate Request***
vManage1:~$

Hello Rami

Hmm, I suggest you take a look at these issues to see if you can troubleshoot the problem.

First of all, your command to create the root CA certificate seems to be a bit off in your post. I think it may have to do with the way you pasted it. However, you must make sure that it appears as in the lesson. Notice that Rene states that it is a “one-liner” which means you can copy and paste it as-is from the lesson. Notice that’s what he did in the video as well. It should be copied and pasted exactly like so:

openssl req -x509 -new -nodes -key ROOT-CA.key -sha256 -days 3652 \
-subj "https://cdn.networklessons.com/C=NL/ST=NL/O=nwl-lab-sdwan/CN=vmanage1.lab.nwl.ai" \
-out ROOT-CA.pem

After doing a bit of research I have found that even if the command is issued correctly, this type of error is also seen in other cases where root CA certificates are created, and it can be due to a bug. You can attempt to issue the command without a subject if you like since that is optional. This may resolve the problem.

Try it out and let us know how you get along!

Laz

Hello Rene
bizinternet and public internert, are these routers or switches? how is the connectivity of these?

Hello Wali

The biz-internet and public-internet “clouds” in the diagram represent the WANs that businesses can use to connect their vEdge devices. This topology is created within EVE-NG, and the clouds are entities created by the emulator. Take a look at this lesson to see the process with which the clouds, and the rest of the topology, were created.

Laz