Cisco SD-WAN Controllers Installation

Hello Pratik

It sounds like you’re facing issues with retaining configurations on vManage in your EVE-NG lab environment when you restart the server. There are several things you can do to deal with this particular problem.

1. Save the vManage configuration: Before restarting your server or stopping your SD-WAN lab, make sure to save the vManage configuration. You can do this through the vManage CLI:
vmanage# config
vmanage(config)# commit
vmanage(config)# exit
vmanage# exit

This will commit and save the running configuration to the startup configuration.

1. Export vManage configuration: To export the vManage configuration for backup purposes, you can follow these steps:
  • Navigate to the “Configuration” tab and then to “Devices.”
  • Select the vManage device from the list and click the “More Actions” button (three vertical dots).
  • Choose “Export Configuration” and save the file to your local machine.

In case your vManage loses its configuration after a restart, you can import the configuration you previously exported:

• Navigate to the “Configuration” tab and then to “Devices.”
  • Click on the “Import Configuration” button and choose the configuration file you saved earlier.
  • Once the import is complete, verify that your configuration is restored.
  1. Persistent Storage in EVE-NG: To make sure your configurations are retained across reboots in EVE-NG, you can enable persistent storage by following these steps:
  • Open the EVE-NG web interface.
  • Navigate to the “Tools” menu and click on “Settings.”
  • In the “Settings” dialog, enable the “Persistent Configuration” option.
  • Click “Save” to apply the changes.

Try some of these steps to resolve the issue of losing your configs whenever you restart your devices in EVE-NG. Let us know if any of these have helped to resolve the issue.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hi Rene,
Your support is really helpful.
I want to save all like Configuration, root & all other certificates, but asking me for some options.

I’m unable to save the vManage.

As per step 2, I do not see an import configuration option in 20.3.

Hi Rene,

I’m unable export total configuration include Certificate of Vmange Devices.

I tried with given your step buts it’s quite different as par the screenshot.

want to save all like Configuration, root & all other certificates, but asking me for some options.

I’m unable to save the vManage.

As per step 2, I do not see an import configuration option in 20.3.

Dear @kotadiyapratik ,

I would first focus on why EVE-NG is not saving your configurations. This should work. I’m also using EVE-NG and whenever I stop or start the lab, everything is still there. It’s too much of a hassle to configure (or import / export) everything from scratch.

Do the controllers have disks like I describe here?

And are you using these disks when you add the controller images?

To export configurations, templates, policies, and certificates, there are a couple of options. I collected them all here:

https://notes.networklessons.com/cisco-sd-wan-export-configs-and-files

These options are useful for backup purposes.

Rene

What is the use of private key while creating root CA?

Hello Zahid

In the process of creating a Certification Authority (CA), we initially need to create the root CA. The root CA consists of a private key and a root certificate. These two items are the identity of our CA.

Once the root CA’s public key is packaged into a certificate, that certificate needs to be signed to ensure its integrity and authenticity. The signing process involves using the root CA’s private key. Anyone can then verify the certificate by using the corresponding public key. This assures entities that the certificate truly originated from that CA and hasn’t been tampered with.

For more detailed information on how to create a CA and the related entities involved, take a look at this lesson:

Laz

Hi Rene,

I tried to go to the vManage website but I can’t connect. I’m assuming a need to connect the lab to the internet?

Hello Corwyn

So when you browse to https://10.1.0.1:8443/ you don’t see the vManage GUI? What do you see when you do that? What error message do you get? There is no need to connect the lab to the Internet to be able to see this.

Make sure that your EVE-NG configuration is correct so that you can connect to the vManage device from the web browser of your local device. Can you ping the vManage device? If not, then you may need to take a look at this lesson to ensure correct EVE-NG configurations:

Let us know how you get along so that we can help you further.

Laz

No I’m not able to ping vManage from my server. Also, I’m running this on VMware Workstation 17 Player not ESXI. When I connect vManage to my internet (cloud) I’m able to access the GUI but not when it connects to the switch. I’m able to ping between vManage & the switch but not from my server. Do you have PAT configured on the switch with vlan 10 configured as inside the internet connections as outside? Lastly, my home network is 192.168.1.x/24 not sure if I need to change the lab network to that or if it should be working with the 10.1.0.0/24 the only time the 10.1.0.0/24 network could ping the internet was when I configured PAT on the switch but still couldn’t connect to the GUI

The error message I get is “can’t reach this page”. No I’m not able to ping vManage from my server. Also, I’m running this on VMware Workstation 17 Player not ESXI. When I connect vManage to my internet (cloud) I’m able to access the GUI but not when it connects to the switch. I’m able to ping between vManage & the switch but not from my server. Do you have PAT configured on the switch with vlan 10 configured as inside the internet connections as outside? Lastly, my home network is 192.168.1.x/24 not sure if I need to change the lab network to that or if it should be working with the 10.1.0.0/24 the only time the 10.1.0.0/24 network could ping the internet was when I configured PAT on the switch but still couldn’t connect to the GUI

Hello @CorwynJohnson ,

If you use VMWare workstation, the easiest option is probably to bridge everything. This means your VMs will be in the same network as your physical network, 192.168.1.x/24 in your case. Take a look at this note:

https://notes.networklessons.com/sd-wan-eve-ng-connection-options#vmware-workstation-without-trunk

I have a topology picture for VMware workstation there. Otherwise, it’ll always be a hassle to make either NAT work, or you need to create a VM that can route traffic from your 192.168.1.x/24 physical network to a network you use for your VMs.

Rene

That’s what I thought I’d have to-do is bridge everything. Thank you Rene, you’ve helped me a lot and pass my CCNP. Keepup the greatwork

1 Like

Hi Rene,

I have configured SD-WAN using eve-ng, followed all steps provided but I still see vSmart not sync
I think your lab steps were done using old Viptela version. I am using version 20.1.1 which come with new eve-ng.

could you advice please.

Sal

Hi Sal,

The difference between 19.x and 20.x is that with 20.x you need to create device licenses through the Cisco.com site. It doesn’t affect the controller installation. I used the same examples to create a 20.x lab as well.

There are many things that can go wrong when building a Cisco SD-WAN lab. I created a troubleshooting note here:

https://notes.networklessons.com/cisco-sd-wan-controller-troubleshooting

Could you go through each of these items and see if there is a mismatch/issue somewhere?

Also, what exact error message do you see and where?

Rene