CoPP (Control Plane Policing)

Hello Kostas

Yes, that is correct. We can filter the number of packets destined to the router itself, and thus, we limit the number of packets that the CPU must process. Keep in mind however that even data plane traffic uses CPU resources (for decapsulating, routing, re-encapsulating etc) as well.

In this lesson, Rene is matching control plane traffic for ICMP, Telnet, OSPF and HSRP. No SSH packets will be matched. This means that no policing will occur on any SSH packets. Only packets that match the configured policy map will be policed.

Even so, the conform and exceed actions are all set to transmit, so there is no policing going on based on this configuration. However, the number of packets that do conform and do exceed can be examined and the bps value and the exceed action can then be adjusted accordingly. Rene explains why this is done in the lesson:

In the policy-map, I add policers for 8000 bps and the conform-action and exceed-action are both set to transmit. These policers will never drop anything but there is a good reason I configure it like this.

When you configure CoPP for the first time, you don’t know how much packets you receive for each protocol. There is a risk that you deny legitimate traffic. It’s best to permit everything. Once you know how much packets are exceeding, change the values and set the exceed action to drop.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

2 Likes