DAI (Dynamic ARP Inspection)

Hello Giovanni

It looks like the notebook is trying to obtain an IP address via DHCP, but it is unable to. The 169.254.7.64 address is a link local address that is given to a device that is configured to use DHCP, but cannot find a DHCP server. Microsoft uses this method for link local IPv4 address allocation. They call it Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA), and you can find out more about it here.

Having said that, it seems that the notebook is sending many DHCP requests. Based on the syslogs, it is this error that is causing the arp inspection error:

%SW_DAI-4-PACKET_RATE_EXCEEDED: 16 packets received in 152 milliseconds on Gi0/5.

I believe that there is some problem with the DHCP configuration, the notebook is unable to reach the DHCP server, and is given a link local address. This address is then used for the ARP requests to reach the DHCP server, which in turn exceed the packet rate.

I suggest you do the following to troubleshoot the issue:

1. examine that your DHCP and DHCP relay configurations are correct
  2. try to increase the packet rate limiting on the interface, as it may be too low. Use this command reference to help.
  3. You may also need to add the following command in the device configured as a DHCP relay: ip dhcp relay information trust-all. More information on this here.

I also suggest you try to make the topology work without using snooping to see if it is your DHCP configuration alone that is causing the problem, or the introduction of the snooping feature.

I hope this helps you in your troubleshooting procedure… Let us know how it goes.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

2 Likes