EIGRP Authentication per Neighbor

Thanks for the response! very helpful to know it’s not worth trying do it!

1 Like

Can I do same for DMVPN. If yes can you please brief it.

I feel like the word frame relay and things pertaining to it should not be allowed to be mentioned anymore lol… I am ready to vote for marshal law on this item!

Hello Brian

I understand what you mean! It’s difficult to find networks where Frame Relay is still in use today. They do exist, but they are becoming rarer and rarer…

Even so, there are some features, especially of routing protocols, that can only be reviewed using non-broadcast technologies, such as EIGRP authentication per neighbor, as well as OSPF network types. For this reason, Frame Relay is still alive in Cisco certifications, because it is the most common non-broadcast technology, and it is also the easiest to emulate.

In a few years, however, even these features will be phased out of the certification exams, so patience… :slight_smile:

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hi Rene, thanks for this lesson, I tried to make this lab but what is the configuration for the Frame relay device in the middle. ? All the 3 routers are serial connecting to which interfaces?

Hello Mustafa

The frame relay switch found at the center of the topology can only be simulated or emulated. If you’re using Cisco’s Packet Tracer, you must use the Cisco Packet Tracer Cloud, written as “Cloud-PT” to simulate the frame relay switch.

As you can see in the image above, it is found within the group indicated by the cloud icon.

For GNS3, it has a built-in frame relay switch that you can use. You can find it under the “all devices” category as shown below:

Other emulators have similar methods of emulating frame relay switches. Now if you’re using real physical equipment, then you will need a router that supports frame relay to act as a FR switch, such as the 7200 series with the appropriate IOS. However, it is typically difficult to obtain such devices to serve this purpose, mostly due to their cost.

Laz

Hello Mustafa

One more thing. You can see in this lesson how to configure a Cisco IOS router to act as a Frame-Relay switch:

Laz