EIGRP Passive Interface

Hello Brian

I tend to agree with your deductions. The no ip passive-interface command should only be used if the passive-interface default command is used. Otherwise, it is useless. An administrator seems to have made changes in the past, without removing these commands from the interfaces. There is no impact on performance however, it’s just a bit messy.

It’s interesting you note that there is no indication of the passive-interface default command on any NX-OS documentation for the 5000 series devices. I did a search for myself and to my surprise, that command is indeed left out of the command references for any 5000 series device for OSPF and EIGRP!! I only found it in reference to IS-IS here:

I did find it in the 3k, 7k, and 9k documentation for all routing protocols, however. I don’t have a 5k device on hand to test it out, but you say that the command is available, so it looks like Cisco has some deficiencies in their documentation.

You’ve already confirmed that the command exists in the 5k platform, so that’s useful information, thanks for that. I’ll add it to the NetworkLessons Notes as well.

Thanks for the info and for sharing your experiences!

Laz