EIGRP Queries and Stuck in Active

Hello Mirko

EIGRP uses RTP (Reliable Transport Protocol) to send its messages. RTP is a reliable protocol, and requires that messages sent are acknowledged using RTP’s reliability mechanisms. Within this mechanism is the 16 retries that you mention. This process runs concurrently and independently of the SIA process described in the lesson. In fact, the 16 retries operate at the Transport layer (i.e. within the RTP protocol) while the SIA process operates at the Application layer (i.e. that of EIGRP itself). Now the retries that are attempted by an EIGRP router using RTP will typically take place based on the retransmission timeout (RTO) used by RTP, which is dynamically calculated based on network conditions. By default the RTO is set to 200 milliseconds.

The SIA process works with another timer, which is the SIA timer, which has a value of 180 seconds (3 minutes). Typically, if a query is not responded to after half of that time (90 seconds), the SIA process kicks in and the SIA query is sent.

Because of the large difference between the RTO and the SIA timer, it is almost certain that the 16 retries have already been attempted well before any SIA query is sent. However, these processes are completely independent and operate on different layers of the OSI model.

From the explanation above, you can probably answer this question. Because the processes are independent, R1 will not care at all about the initial queries. At the level of EIGRP, it doesn’t care at all about those original queries, it only deals with the SIA query and the process from there on.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz