EIGRP Static Neighbor

Hello Brian

First of all a clarification. There’s a difference between “static routes” and “statically configured EIGRP neighbors”. I assume that in your post, where you mention the former, you actually mean the latter.

So can EIGRP static neighbors be configured over regular Ethernet links instead of over Frame Relay? Yes, you can. However, there’s no reason to do so. The feature is useful for technologies, such as Frame Relay, that don’t support multicast. Unless there’s some obscure configuration scenario that needs it, since Ethernet supports multicast, there’s no reason to do so.

As for the method of configuration, Nexus devices use the ip router eigrp command on the interface to indicate which interfaces and their corresponding subnets, will participate in EIGRP. In addition, things like summary addresses are also applied to interfaces rather than the EIGRP router mode configuration. This simply has to do with the syntax of configuration, and not so much on the actual operation of EIGRP.

EIGRP is also configured differently when IPv6 is used, or when EIGRP named mode is used. To familiarize yourself with these and the method and syntax of implementation it will simply take practice.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

Hey Rene,

Good day!

I’ve been trying to configure static neighbors in EIGRP for IPv6 (EIGRPv6). I haven’t been successful and can’t find information on it anywhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Hello Daniel

I was able to successfully create a static neighborship between two IPv6 routers using EIGRP. Take a look at this NetworkLessons Note on IPv6 EIGRP static neighbors to find out more.

Laz

Hi Laz,

Haven’t chatted with you in a while. Hope your well.

Would you try with the attached gns3 files?

EIGRPv6 Static Neighbor Lab.zip (311 KB)

Hello Daniel

I’m doing well, how about you?

Unfortunately, I was unable to get the GNS3 files to function. Can you share your configs for the neighboring routers? In the link I shared in my previous post, the NetworkLessons Note on IPv6 EIGRP static neighbors, the important aspects were that you must use the link local address to create the static neighbor adjacency. Take a look, share your config, and we’ll revisit the issue shortly!

Laz

Hey Laz,

The attached .zip includes:

config files for:

• Base (addressing and such)

• EIGRPv6 - dynamic neighborships

• EIGRPv6 Static Neighbors

GNS3 Files

Topology

3 Router Serial.zip (365 KB)

Hello Daniel

Thanks for sending those files. I was able to recreate your EIGRP IPv6 neighbor adjacencies. I started off by creating the dynamic adjacencies as shown in your configs. Adjacencies were created as expected. I then went on to apply the static adjacency like so:

(Note that in my topology I’m using Gi0/1 instead of Gi0/0, but all the rest is the same).

R-1#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
R-1(config)#ipv6 router eigrp 6 
R-1(config-rtr)#neighbor FE80:12::2 gig 0/1
R-1(config-rtr)#
*Mar 15 07:01:10.728: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv6 6: Neighbor FE80:12::2 (GigabitEthernet0/1) is down: Static peer replaces multicast
R-1(config-rtr)#

Once applied to R-1, the SYSLOG message reports the appropriate result. Take a look at what happens to R-2:

*Mar 15 07:01:11.400: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv6 6: Neighbor FE80:12::1 (GigabitEthernet0/1) is down: Interface PEER-TERMINATION received

A peer termination is received, and the adjacency is currently down. Configuring the static neighbor on R-2 results in the following:

R-2#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
R-2(config)#ipv6 router eigrp 6
R-2(config-rtr)#neighbor FE80:12::1 gigabitEthernet 0/1
R-2(config-rtr)#
*Mar 15 07:01:56.271: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv6 6: Neighbor FE80:12::1 (GigabitEthernet0/1) is up: new adjacency
R-2(config-rtr)#

A new adjacency successfully forms. Looking again at R-1, we see:

*Mar 15 07:01:55.597: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv6 6: Neighbor FE80:12::2 (GigabitEthernet0/1) is up: new adjacency

So I was able to create the static neighbors using IPv6 EIGRP. Let us know what results you are getting so that we can help you further your troubleshooting process.

Laz

Hi Laz,

Good day!

Yes, a static neighborship can form after a dynamic neighborship has already been formed.

However, I’m unable to create a static neighborship without first having the dynamic neighborship.

And you?

FYI:

R-1
en
Conf t
ipv6 router eigrp 6
eigrp router-id 1.1.1.1
neighbor FE80:12::2 g0/0
! Must use LLA
end

R-2
en
Conf t
ipv6 router eigrp 6
eigrp router-id 2.2.2.2
neighbor FE80:12::1 g0/0
end

Hello Daniel

I labbed this up again, and followed these steps:

1. Assigned the interfaces an IPv6 link-local address, and a global unicast address. Check to see that connectivity is established by pinging.
  2. Created the EIGRP instance in each router with AS1. Issued the no shutdown command to enable it.
  3. Configured the static IPv6 neighbors using the neighbor FE80:12::1 interface gigabitethernet0/1 command on both routers, (using the appropriate link-local address in each case).
  4. Applied the ipv6 eigrp 1 command to the interfaces on both routers to enable EIGRP on those interfaces.

As soon as step 4 was completed on both routers, the neighbor adjacency came up as a statically assigned adjacency. No previous dynamic adjacency was established.

Laz

Success!!!

Thanks, Laz!!!

1 Like