Greetings User -

Just wanted to introduce myself as I am very introverted but feel comfortable enough here to say ‘Hi’. I look forward to challenging transfer of knowledge, but want to get to know anyone first… I am a self learner and hope to connect with other learners who are trying to learn from one another…

Hit me up, I am happy to join the amazing world of networking…

Regards.
~/not.home/.michael

Hello Michael, and welcome to NetworkLessons!

It’s great to have you here, and one of the aspects of this forum is to create a community where we can share our networking problems and solutions, and get to know each other in the process.

I’m sure you’ll find the lessons useful, and if you have any questions or difficulties, you know where to find us!

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum!

Laz

Welcome @Michael.Mahoney !

I wish you good luck with studying :slight_smile:

Rene

Thanks for the welcome… I will admit, I am not much of a forum user - but I am going to push myself to get involved… I hope to gain some insight on building broken labs and how to fix them… At least I have the first part done. I hope I do not get on anyones nerves asking questions but believe me, I always do my homework first and only if I get confilicting information I decide to ask. I hope I can learn from each and every member and eventualy pass that along. Networking is much different than when I started my journey. I started back in the days of BBS’s (Max Headroom BBS - (210)) likely the only ten year old with two phone lines. had a voice line and one dedicated for the Atari 800XL. started out with 300 baud, I thought I was amazing with a 1200 and 2400 I was out of this world… This was back in the days of Atari vs Commodor… I always thought Atari was much better since we used ATASCII. how far we have come, I wih I would have followed data communication more that I did, but, I got into my teenage years, and was focused on usenet and wanting to try different operating systems… Slackware was my favorite since I was finally able to get a successful compilation that ran.

Dont know why I went into all this, but I am glad to be here and value everyone I get to talk to…
Thanks for reading my ramblings if you could stand it.

Would you like to play a game?
./michael

Hello Michael

You brought me way back when you talked about BBSs and 2400 baud, and Atari and Commodore… We truly have come a long way… And that’s what makes all of this stuff so interesting!

Great to hear from you and once again, whatever you need, feel free to “ramble” on the forum!

Laz

So as I am trying to get back into the “swing of things” Got my 2821 and hoping to set up my access server. Howerver a lot of the 2511 access servers do not seem to fit with what I am trying to accomplish. Just looking to easily switch between… Cannot seem to get a good place that makes sense… I know I’m an old Newbie, but would take some direction in assistance is appreciated. I should mention I have two octal 16 cables.

Thanks.

Hi @Michael.Mahoney ,

I have an example for a 2511 here:

To be honest, I don’t like these anymore. They are slow, building a decent menu takes time, etc.

I would telnet into the 2511 multiple times, then open a console. That’s easier than logging in once and switching between consoles.

Rene

Greetings all,
I have unfortunately been wrapped up at work, but, I did finally get the 2821 working as an access server, or as I call and use it as a"jump node". unbelievably simpler than I made it out to be. Hope to get back into studying…
Thanks all for your guidance.

Rene- you rock!

1 Like

@Michael.Mahoney That’s good to hear!

Jump node is a good term. In server land, we call it a jump box / server:

Rene