Hello, Henry from Perth, Australia

Hello everyone. Henry from Perth, Australia.
I am struggling for my CCNP T-Shoot and trying to complete the certification exam before February 24th. I have done my CCNA routing & switching, CCNP routing/switching.
No work experience in IT industry but like to join the IT industry. Not sure it is possible for me because I am 40+ old. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Henry,

Welcome! You are almost done, with CCNA/ROUTE/SWITCH out of the way, it’s only TSHOOT left :slight_smile: What exactly are you struggling with?

There’s nothing new in TSHOOT that you haven’t seen in the other courses. There are two main items you should focus on:

1. Become familiar with the official TSHOOT topology. Make sure you understand what the role of each router/switch is, what services they use, what the L2 and L3 topology looks like: https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccnp-tshoot/troubleshooting-ccnp-tshoot-lab

2. There is no “magic bullet” to troubleshooting. If something doesn’t work, keep the OSI model in mind.

Quick example, let’s say you run OSPF your neighbor adjacency doesn’t work. You can check some show commands like show ip ospf interface to see if OSPF runs on the interface or not.

At this moment, the problem could be about OSPF or any of the lower OSI models. For example, it could be an interface or VLAN issue.

You now have two options:

1. Try a quick ping to see if you can reach the OSPF neighbor on the other end of the link.
  2. Verify your interfaces and VLANs.

In this case, option 1 is a good choice. It takes a few seconds but when that ping works, you at least know that there are no issues on layer 1 + 2. You can continue with troubleshooting the OSPF neighbor adjacency itself.

When the ping fails, go further down the OSI model…look at your interfaces and VLANs.

When in doubt, you can always start at the bottom of the OSI model and work your way upwards. You will always find the issue, but it can take some more time.

Long story short, you have to be familiar with the order of things operate. When you troubleshoot, you can try some quick checks and based on the output, move up or down the OSI model. When in doubt, just start at the bottom of the OSI model. It will take time and practice but after a while, you will have a checklist in your head with the order of things to check.

Hope this helps somehow, if not let us know :slight_smile:

Rene

PS - Everything OK down there? The fires in Australia are all over the news here. Seems it’s not as bad in Perth?

Hello Rene,
Thanks for your prompt and details reply. Appreciate it.
Perth is a lot better than eastern states. Again, thanks for your concern. Happy New Year. :slight_smile:

1 Like