Hi there! I am Nick from Dallas

Who are you?
Nick

Where are you?
Dallas Tx

What stage are you in? Are you a beginner in networking? A veteran studying for a CCIE exam?
Senior Network Engineer for a large hospital network. I’ve held the CCIE as a lofty goal for a while now but wavered in and out of studying seriously. Back in the serious mindset again.

What’s your background? Why did you join NetworkLessons.com? Any cool stories to share?
I was worked in plumbing and welding before getting into IT. Started out with the Cisco academy 2 year degree from my local community college while welding.

Joined because this site kept popping up when googling missing information from the Cert Guide. How can you lay out the exam topics at the beginning of the book then not cover them in order, even skipping some of them? lol

Hello Nick,

Welcome on board! How’s the studying going so far? Are you studying for the written exam now?

That’s a cool switch btw. From plumbing/welding to networking :sunglasses: How did you discover that you enjoyed IT? From school?

Rene

Thanks for the welcome and providing comprehensive material in one spot! This site has already been very useful.

I am working on reading and converting the material to flash cards so I can use spaced repetition style memorization. Just on the written right now but I did get to apply some BGP knowledge at work recently.

I always liked both working with my hands and tech. After high school, construction opportunities presented themselves. I was convinced programming, my main tech focus in HS, wasn’t a good option at the time. I decided to go back to school after listening to some old guys at the welding shop. Networking and certs seemed like the obvious choice to break into a new field.

Hi Nick,

That is a good idea. There is so much stuff to learn in CCIE R&S so repetition is important. You can review things whenever you have 5 or 10 minutes during the day. Back in the days, I also didn’t like programming at all…nowadays I think it’s quite fun. You can do a lot of cool stuff with Python and network automation :slight_smile:

Good luck studying!

Rene