Hi there! I am Paolo from London

Who are you?
Paolo

Where are you?
London

What stage are you in? Are you a beginner in networking? A veteran studying for a CCIE exam?
Currently studying for CCNP R&S

What’s your background? Why did you join NetworkLessons.com? Any cool stories to share?
Been a network engineer for 2 years, so quite new. Struggling to pass the CCNP Route exam after several attempts. Getting very close (779 with pass mark of 790) but am struggling with the “Infrastructure Services” and am struggling to find adequate resources for this section. Also have the Switch and TSHOOT exam to pass before cutoff on Feb 23rd, so I have a lot of studying to do in a short space of time! I’m hoping that Network Lessons will be able to help with this.

Hello Paolo

Great to have you with us! We wish you success in your certification journey, and as always, if you need help along the way, we are here to respond to your questions and concerns.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum!

Laz

Hello Paolo,

Welcome!

You got pretty close, that’s frustrating. Is there anything particular you had trouble with? VRRP, GLBP, HSRP, etc?

Good luck studying for now, if you need help you know where to find us!

Rene

1 Like

Hi Rene,

Thanks for the welcome!

I think the main issue I had is trying to find the right resources. I felt very confident going into the exam, particularly the most recent time, but find a lot of stuff that i don’t really recognise coming up. I have used INE videos and the official CCNP Route textbook but found the exam went into much more detail than both of those two went in to. I’ve had a look at the exam topics on the Cisco website (https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccnp/route_v2/exam-topics) and it’s the 6.0 section that I’m having difficulties with (this was 38% in my last exam which each other topic being ~70-80%).

Any advice for this area in particular?

Cheers,
Paolo

Hello Paolo

I’d say the most important thing to do for that section is go through the lessons in the site and do each and every lab. By doing the labs, I find that I understand the concepts more fully. You can even try to perform a modified version of the labs, where you can make your own topology, but employ the concept. I believe that implementing, then troubleshooting, then resolving a configuration is the most productive way to study. And if you get stuck somewhere, you can always go on the forum and ask your questions.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

2 Likes

Hi Laz,

That’s great, thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,
Paolo

1 Like

Hi Paolo,

It might be helpful if you try to lab up some of these topics on your own, see where your weak spots are.

For SNMP, download the VM of LibreNMS:

https://docs.librenms.org/Installation/Images/

Set yourself a goal to configure 1 device with SNMPv2 and another one with SNMPv3. See if you can get it working.

If you want to go one step further, try some of my labs on gns3vault:

Maybe go through all the network management labs (that are on the blueprint):

NAT:

For syslog and netflow, grab a VM for Graylog:

https://docs.graylog.org/en/3.1/pages/installation/virtual_machine_appliances.html

When I did my CCIE, I had some trouble with syslog/snmp/netflow etc. These are not the most interesting topics (to me) :grin:

Rene

1 Like

Wow that’s great, thanks a lot Rene! These all look really useful, i’ll definitely check them out.

Yes, I definitely agree with you on that! These are certainly far from my favourite topics too…

Cheers again!
Paolo

1 Like