How to configure Frame-Relay Point-to-Multipoint

Hello Sergei

Sorry Sergei, what I mentioned in the previous post was not entirely correct. Let me clarify:

When configuring point to point Frame Relay with subinterfaces, you can use the following command:

frame-relay interface-dlci XXX

This command configures the DLCI of the subinterface. It also keeps Inverse ARP active to be able to find the DLCI of the other end of the circuit, assuming the IP address has also been configured on the subinterface. Now this command is typically used for subinterfaces, but can also be applied to the main physical interfaces to enable routing protocols that are configured to use Inverse ARP. This however goes beyond the scope of CCNA/CCNP.

Now if you want to statically map DLCIs and not use Inverse ARP, then you can use the frame-relay map ip command. This command will disable Inverse ARP. You can also explicitly disable Inverse ARP before applying this command. Note here that the DLCI and IP address used in the map are those of the remote frame-relay router and not of the local router. This is why Inverse ARP becomes disabled, because it is no longer needed.

The settings that you have indicated in your post above are correct.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like