How to configure PPPOA DSL on Cisco IOS Router

Hi Rene,

Thank you. I appreciate your very fast reply. I would appreciate if you could take a look to my explanation and tell if its ok and also answer some questions:

ok so interface dialer is a type of logical interface / a some kind of entity where we store some settings / paramteres. under this logical interface we configure parameters like “encapsulation ppp” … “ppp chap password SECRET”. This entity is attached to a pool (dialer pool 1).

interface dialer 1
dialer pool 1

In this pool we can include several physical interfaces as ATM :

interface ATM 1/0
dialer pool-member 1

interface fa0
dialer pool-member 1 ( can we do this?)

All physical interfaces member in this “pool 1” will use the logical interface named DIALER INTERFACE (also attaches to this pool) in order to reach somewhere ( to the ISP).
So Pool 1 has:
- one logical interface (DIALER INTERFACE) which contains all connection params (and also NAT), and
- one or several physical interface.

1. can we include several physical interfaces to the same pool to use same dialer int. ?
  2. Is it ok ?
  3. Who initiates connection ? Always the CPE? sending the packets to dialer 0 interface because we have a def route to dialer 0?
  4. Why do we call it DIALER? does this interface actually DIALS like a code or something into the ISP net ( as we dial a phone number to the phone operator). I am trying to find a reason for its name…

Thank you again a lot Rene! You are REALLY helpful!!

Kind regards,
A.

p.s.: you can take your time for the answer. I am not in a hurry,