How to configure Redistribution between OSPF and RIP

Hi Laz,

I need little more help in understanding. in the link you provide it says the following about E1 saying use this when you use multiple ASBR.

NOTE: If the metric-type argument is not used, routes will be advertised by default in OSPF as E2 routes. E2 routes have a default fixed cost of 20 associated with them, but this value can be changed with the metric keyword. The metric will not change as the route is propagated throughout the OSPF area. E1 routes will have internal area costs added to the seed metric.

Then they go on to say use E2 when you only have a single ASRB

I get the what they say directly if more use this if only a single use this. My question is the following:

an example from the webpage: (config-router)#redistribute eigrp 10 metric-type 1 subnets
It looks like metreic-type 1 is the portion of the command that controls E1 or E2 though E2 is the default so probably is not required to be added manually. I guess I need to stop being lazy at this point and lab it up and see what happens when I use the command to help figure it out and cement it in my brain. I will do that now lol.

Have built my GNS3 topology off theirs now adding the configuration will report back my findings soon as I get there:

So while following their configurations they first had us go into the EIGRP and change the metrics. At first this confused the hex out of me and the reason it confused me was because it was not needed. I don’t know if they are just doing some reminder of EIGRP configuration here or what. I will admit it was helpful because I had to combine EIGRP with OSPF and since I have been studying OSPF I was getting a bit forgetful on the EIGRP as I have not yet brought the two studies together.

So very informative but after identifying what was going on I decided to leave out changing the EIGRP metrics. if you want to comment on this feel free if you think they did this for a different reason than teaching and reminding.

Next I went to their command to redistribute this was very simple and since we do not specify the E1 route it uses the default which is the E2 which always has a metric of 20. See pics below which illustrate

Now something of importance and you see it noted in the picture above is the subnets key-word I had to jump ahead in Renee lessons to understand this to his Redistribution chapter which covers redistribution between OSPF and RIP see link How to configure Redistribution between OSPF and RIP In studying this forum post specifically I am coming across information I had not learned yet is all. Below is my output when I checked my WINNIPEG router which is according to my topology my furthest router in OSPF area 0. You can see sure enough it redistributed those routes as E2 the default with their metric cost of 20.

Next it was finally time to test the command to manually change this and then witness the results:

And as you can see I changed it to E1 and this was sent over to my WINNIPEG Router:

This should help me when I go over Rene lesson on Redistribution as well and reinforce the metric stuff.

That helped a lot Las.

Can you give some basic information on why they are saying in the tips to use E1 if have multiple ASBR and use E2 if you have single? I want to get into their heads to understand their strategy on why and when to use. I am guessing it has to do with this:

E1 routes will have internal area costs added to the seed metric.

its just not clicking into place on the strategy of their choice. :frowning: