How to Prepare for Cisco CCNP R&S

Hello Arief

Getting your CCNA certification is a great way to move forward, and it’s a great foundation on which you can build.

Now for your next steps, you have two choices. Either you dig deep and focus on one particular aspect, like CCIE, networking, and become an expert in one specific field, or you can broaden your experience by also learning other things like linux/security, or other vendors as well. Keep in mind however, that in the second case, you will not be as good an expert in one particular field, but you will be knowledgeable in many fields.

So which is better? It depends on who you ask, and on what kind of career you want to have. My personal suggestion would be to pick a particular field, such as CCIE and networking, and focus on that, and become a good expert in that field. Once you achieve this, then you can get your foot in many doors as far as jobs go, and then you can broaden your field of expertise by going into other areas such as linux and other vendors.

Otherwise, you will know about many things, but you won’t be an expert in any of them.

Since you’re at the beginning of your career, I suggest you go for the CCNP and CCIE to become an expert. These certifications will open many doors for jobs and careers. Once you are an expert, and you are in a job that gives you more experience as well, then you can start to broaden your expertise in other areas.

Oh and one more thing. It’s extremely important that you love what you do. Choose to become an expert in an area that you just love! It will make your life much easier and more enjoyable. The truth is that you will spend more time in your job than with your family, so you better like what you do, otherwise it will be very difficult.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like