How to Prepare for Cisco CCNP R&S

You are welcome Daniel :slight_smile: CCNP & studying should be fun, no need for sadness ;):stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Rene,
Everything here, on your website, is downright practical. Thanks.
Nice work…:slight_smile:
Sachin

hi rene I’ve just passed my ccnp route exam and i’m about to start my ccnp switch i’m self studying at home I’ve bought the official cisco cert guide and I’ve checked the cisco website fore the exam topics but the official book does not cover some of the topics in the exam does you ccnp switch lessons cover all the topics that i’m going to see in the ccnp switch exam or do I need to find another source of information to fill the gaps please help as I used the official cisco book for the ccnp route exam and failed my first time because it did not cover all the topics in the exam I was very angry after this and had to go away and find the information needed that’s how I ended up here thanks

Hello Rene,
what difference does it make when I purchase subscription or purchase your books? Is the content present in both books and website are same. Thank you

The content in my CCNA/CCNP R&S books and networklessons is similar. Here are the differences.

1. Networklessons has a lot more content. It’s not just CCNA/CCNP but we also have a lot of CCIE R&S / ASA and other content.
  2. Networklessons also has whiteboard and desktop capture videos.
  3. We have an active forum here. If you have any questions you can ask them here and you’ll get an answer.

Hope this helps!

Rene

Hello Rene!

I recently passed in the exam CCNA R&S 200-120, I know that the Cisco will change the exam 200-120 for the 200-125, I want to know if the CCNP Route exam, will be change too, like the CCNA or not?

Fabio,
The CCNP R&S track was updated with all new exams on January 30, 2015. The current Route exam (300-101) has no announced date of retirement that I have seen. I would estimate at least another year for that exam before any big changes are coming.

Hello Rene,

I have a question please If you can help me.

How can i check the port are healthy or not defective on a switch Cisco IOS Software, C2960S Software (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE5

What command will show that ? is it show tech command ? if yes , which of them please.

Thank you

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to Prepare for Cisco CCNP R&S

I’m preparing for CCNP ROUTE. I do understand that I can do the big part of the labs with GNS3. I did a nice Client/Server deployment of GNS3. Client is Win7 and Server is VmwareESXi. It is working fine ; as far I do not need to do a lab using a Software on Windows.

Couple a years a go, for CCNA ; I did be able to connect a PC (Win XP) to the GNS3 topology, by using MSLoopbackAdapter. Actually ; with my Win7 Client, I can not make it work. Things seem to be more complicated in a Client/Server deployment of GNS3.

Could someone explain how is the good and safe way for connecting a PC (Win7) to a GNS3 topology (running Remote on a ESXi server) ?

I do not any lesson on MULTICAST topic. Does that topic belong to CCNP ?

Hello Maodo

According to Cisco’s official exam description, multicast only shows up in the ROUTE exam as part of the Layer 3 Technologies section with the following breakdown:

3.0 Layer 3 Technologies
3.1 Identify, configure, and verify IPv4 addressing and subnetting
3.1.a Address types (Unicast, broadcast, multicast, and VLSM)
3.1.b ARP
3.1.c DHCP relay and server
3.1.d DHCP protocol operations

To see the full curriculum, click here.

So to answer more clearly, mutlicast is not a major part of the exam. It is sufficient to understand what it is in general and why it is useful. Implementations and configurations of multicast on the exams are highly unlikely.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hello Rene,
can you help me find the updated topology link on Cisco?
the link you gave is a bit outdated.

Hello Regis

The currently valid Cisco CCNP TSHOOT v2.0 exam (300-135) has been around since 2014. The topology has remained the same for the duration of the validity of this exam. The topology won’t change until the exam has been retired and replaced with a newer version, so the topology provided is still valid.

Laz

1 Like

Ok I will study base don that topology.
On INE course one instructor suggested to memorize the topology.
do you recommend the same method?

Hello Regis

If you have the time to do so, then it can’t hurt. Intimately knowing the topology that you will be working with can only be of benefit. On the other hand, memorising the topology should not be a substitute for understanding the troubleshooting concepts, you should know those well regardless of memorisation of the topology.

Laz

Hello guys,
In CCNP TShoot topology supplied by Cisco, there is FTP server with ip 10.2.2.10/30. The /30 is just a typo, or is it configured with /30 on purpose? Distribution switches have SVIs with /24 for this subnet.

Hello Michal

Yes, you are correct, that is a typo otherwise there will be no communication with other devices on the subnet. Unless of course that is part of the problem that you are called upon to troubleshoot and resolve. :stuck_out_tongue: If the topology is supposed to be correct, then that should be /24.

Laz

Hii rene.

can u provide me the links where i can download GNS3 software and with all switches and routers with valid IOS to prepare for CCNA & CCNP labs.

Regards,
Chandra

Hello Chandra

Take a look at this lessons to have most of your questions answered concerning GNS3 content and labs:

Keep in mind that the GNS3 software is free, but you’ll have to supply the IOS images yourself. Cisco owns the copyright on IOS so it can’t be shared freely. You’ll have to purchase them, or get them from someone who has legal access to them.

You can also take a look at Rene’s site GNS3Vault specializing in GNS3 labs for Cisco certifications You’ll find a lot of useful information there:

Laz