How to write a Reference Document About Network

Hello guys
can someone explain me how need to research about network?
i need to write a document about it

Hello Alil

Documentation is an important part of networking. How to write a document however depends on the purpose of the document, who the readers will be, and what you want to express in the document.

The most common form of documentation has to do with documenting an existing network. In order to do this, you must include:

• A current network diagram that shows all of the components of the network. If it is extensively large, you may need several diagrams.
  • A list of inventory of the network
  • Documentation of the technologies used on the network (QoS, PoE, routing protocols, policing/shaping, VPNs)
  • The services provided by the network (IP telephony, wireless, video conferencing etc)
  • A record of the current configurations and IOS of the devices being used
  • A record of the security parameters and feature installed
  • A security policy that is to be followed by all administrators and users

There may be more information that you can add, but this is the fundamental info you should have. The point is to make the document a useful tool by a “new” administrator that comes in so that they will understand the network as it is, just from the document.

Now other types of documentation exist as well such as:

• network design documentation
  • Request for Proposals (RFPs)
  • Proposals
  • high level network requirements description
  • network cost analysis
  • network risk analysis and disaster recovery

Each of these has particular information that must be included in order to provide the appropriate information to the appropriate readers.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

thanks
and if i wanna FE reading about x protocol
where i should begin to read
how searching

Hello Alil

If you want to find out in depth information about particular protocols, all of the information you need is found within the RFCs. If the protocol you are searching for has been defined by the IETF, you can do a search for “RFC OSPF” for example, and you should get the various RFCs that reference OSPF. The RFCs are the official reference for protocols. If the protocol or standard is issued by another entity such as IEEE or ISO, you can look at their documentation as well.

Keep in mind that RFCs and other similar specification documentation is quite in depth and complex. If you don’t have a fundamental understanding of the protocols first, you should do a bit of research to understand them before going to these documents.

I know this answer is a little general, however, if you have a more specific question, we may be able to address it more specifically.

Laz

1 Like

Hello Laz
can you tell me
if i wanna write a document about x protocol
what format i need to have ?

Hello Alil

There is no one right answer to your question. The format you will use depends on the purpose of the document and who your target audience is. If it is a technical oriented document, it will be different from a document that is written for the administration of a company. In order to further understand how you should write it, ask yourself who will be reading it, and what information do you want to convey to them .

In general when you are writing about a protocol, you should include things like its purpose, how it functions/operates, the environment in which it functions (Ethernet, IP networks, what services it enables), and you should always reference the RFCs or IEEE or ISO published standards.

Laz

hello laz
thanks that was helpful
best for you dude

1 Like