IGMP Version 1

Hello Recto

The 239.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255 range of multicast IP addresses known as “Administratively scoped” addresses. These are defined by RFC 2365 and are reserved for private use within an organization. So to answer your question, yes, when configuring multicast groups it is best practice to use these addresses.

Having said that, as you probably know, there are various special-use multicast addresses that have various purposes as defined by the IANA and by various RFCs. Although I don’t like linking to Wikipedia, I find that their summary of the IPv4 multicast address groups is quite comprehensive and complete, and you can find it at the following link:

So can you use these other multicast addresses to define a multicast group? Well, yes, nothing stops you from doing that. However, if you overlap with various well known multicast addresses such as those used by OSPF or EIGRP, then this will result in the malfunctioning of any such routing protocols you may have running on your network.

Even though technically you can indeed configure them, practically, it can present a problem on your network.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like