IGMP Version 3

Hello Azm

Well, not quite. The multicast address is not assigned to the multicast server, but it is the destination used for multicast traffic FROM the server TO the members of the group. Secondly, under what circumstances would a host communicate with 239.1.1.1? When it makes a request to join the multicast group. This in essence is a communication between the host and the IGMP functionality of the router, not with the multicast server. This communication would have a source IP of the host and a destination IP of the mutlicast IP, but that destination in such a communication is the router.

• Videoconferencing
  • IPTV/Digital TV/Cable TV
  • Live video transmission over the Internet
  • Webinars
  • online radio

Here Rene is indicating that a host can also include a source IP address in the membership report messages and this address can be configured. Because the host is a router, it can state which one of its IP addresses is the source for the specific multicast transaction. Rene has added a fictitious IP address just to see it easily in the debugging and wireshark captures. In a production environment, this IP address should be that address that will be added to the multicast group.[quote=“azmuddincisco, post:6, topic:1123”]
4) One difference between ver 2 and ver 1 is that in ver 1 all the hosts send report to the router whereas in ver 2 only host sends report to the router on behalf of all the hosts in the same group. Is it correct?
[/quote]

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Can you clarify the second part of your question?

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like