InterVLAN Routing

Hello Brian

Please allow me to step in and participate, as this is an issue that I had trouble in visualising and understanding. I hope I can be of some help. For the most part, you’ve got it, maybe I can make things a little bit clearer for you.

It is possible to have SVIs on multiple switches be in the same subnet, and depending on how you have set up your network, you can make any one of those SVIs a default gateway for use by the hosts on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. In the same way, you can place multiple routers on the same subnet and have them function as multiple possible default gateways. The concept is the same.

Yes, that is correct.

Keep in mind that:

• An SVI can be thought of as a (virtual) layer three interface that resides on a VLAN.
  • It can be used for several purposes, one of which is to function as a default gateway for inter-VLAN routing, so devices on that specific VLAN will be able to communicate with other subnets, either on or off of the specific layer three switch.
  • It can also used as an interface to configure the switch itself, either via telnet/ssh or via http.

Yes, that is absolutely right!

Keep in mind that inter-VLAN routing is still routing, and as such, it still requires a default gateway, so in this sense, an SVI will function as a default gateway.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like