Introduction to APIC-EM

Hi Gaby,

Just created a new VM on an ESXi 6.7 server. 22GB of RAM, 6 cores CPU, and 200GB disk space. I mounted the ISO and didn’t have any issues. Here’s a screen capture:

I didn’t complete the entire installation but at 7:50 you can see the license agreement part.

Where exactly do you get stuck? Does the ISO even boot?

Rene

Rene,
I was trying to create it on my computer using VMware Workstation 15.5.0 and Apic-EM-1.2.1.691.iso:

This is as far as it gets:

Does this have to be done on ESX, I wonder?
Thanks Rene.

Hi Gaby,

If it works on ESXi, it should also work on VMWare Workstation. Just to be clear, this is all you get right as soon as you start the VM and it boots the ISO?

Here’s someone who had the same error:

Looking at the error, it seems it can’t retrieve the IP address. It’s possible that Workstation uses different hardware than ESXi, which is why it fails.

Some things to check:

• Did you set the OS to Linux 64-bit? You could try to set it to Ubuntu.
  • Check the virtual hardware version of the VM. It’s possible that APIC-EM doesn’t recognize the virtual hardware if you use the latest version.
  • What adapter type does it use? It should be VMXNET3.
  • Set your harddisk to 200GB (use thin provisioning).

Rene

Hi guys,

I’ve seen APIC-DC mentioned in a Cisco exam alongside APIC-EM, however while there’s plenty of content on APIC-EM (such as this article) I cannot find any info online about APIC-DC, what it is exactly and how it compares to APIC-EM.

Is anyone able to give me a quick rundown on APIC-DC and how it compares to APIC-EM (advantages/disadvantages etc)?

Thanks!

Hello Louis

As you know, APIC-EM is a network controller for SDN. APIC-DC is a separate component that is used within the context of a Data Center.

Unlike APIC-EM, APIC-DC focuses more on the deployment, management, and monitoring of network-based applications via Application Network Profiles (ANPs) and End Point Groups (EPGs). It also interfaces with applications such as OpenStack and Fabric Packet Flow management. Some additional information you may find useful is included below:

The truth is that there isn’t that much information on it for a couple of reasons. First, both APIC-EM and APIC-DC seem to have been incorporated into Cisco DNA Center. In addition, it seems that the terminology of APIC-DC and the description of this as something separate slowly evolved into a single entity. You can see this, especially in the following datasheet for APIC, which includes many features for datacenters.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hi all,
can someone let me know why im missing Network plug and play in APIC-EM, when I click on API at the top right I can see all applications except Network Plug and Play.

thanks in advance

Hi @meran70 ,

They made some changes to APIC-EM 1.6:

The Cisco Network Plug and Play application, which was previously bundled and enabled with the APIC-EM controller is now a separate application. You need to download and install the new application to use it with APIC-EM controller version 1.6. For information about downloading and installing an application, see the section, “ Installing Cisco APIC-EM Applications,” in the Cisco Application Policy Infrastructure Controller Enterprise Module Installation Guide.