Introduction to Metro Ethernet

I am kind of embarrassed. Where I work now most everything we do is Metro Ethernet and specifically E-Line(point to point) and E-Lan (Full Mesh)

I somehow got confused as most of my knowledge before came from CCNP material and I got MPLS and MPLS VPN (Which is layer three) confused with these and in my head somehow was thinking ELAN and ELINE was a VPN… Ah well I have never been afraid to look foolish though its not my favorite thing I am ok with it as long as I keep learning :slight_smile:

any good reference material I can look up perhaps specific to this topic. Renee you and the guys that help you always seem to have some access to pretty good reference material. I would like to look a bit more into this stuff especially since I have to trouble shoot it.

I do have a few things I do but its mostly things like login to the PE router and then check out interface look for flaps. if no flaps, then for example if point to point E-line I will check for l2circuit and try to run a trace route which will give me all the switches and I can then check the physical interfaces on each switch to look for flap and see if its our backbone.

Now if its VPLS I will normally check the sites and under the sites I will find my IP addresses which I can then do a show route on and then check the ISIS (sucks wished they used OSPF… :frowning: ) and check the BGP to see if lost connection there.

I can then take that same IP and do a trace route and find the switches it goes over and check those physical interfaces. Mainly I know how to do this on juniper because we have a lot of Juniper but we do have cisco as well but just have not did much with those yet.

Training not great where I work they had a lot of people leave so I get some training when they have time and I try to learn on my own as well. So hopefully can find some books on this that explain in more detail. I don’t think it will matter what vendor as the theory for metro-ethernet should be the same.

anyway hope everyone is doing well!

2 Likes