Introduction to OSPF

Great Web Lesson Rene!

Word of advice buy Rene book on CCNP Route. Study the chapters such as I read all of the OSPF chapters through twice. Then I come to the web pages which I buy a year subscription to at a time as its a little cost savings.

On the web pages especially one like this where Rene has video its great to watch those as added reinforcement.

For example, First video Rene is talking about all the areas and how OSPF works. he shows you a ABR and ASBR. When he is doing this if you have studied the book first you are seeing LSA type 3 summary network LSA so it knows where to find the ABR. Then when he mentioned the ASBR I was thinking and oh yah there is a type 4 LSA so it can find the ASBR, and finally that linked into him giving example of Redistributed route and there I though oh yah there will be a LSA type 5 for redistribution and all these things link together so even when he may not mention it in the video because that video is explain something slightly different but related you think about it in your head and see it because you have studied the CCNP Route book first.

On the another video same lesson he talks about what is contained in a hello packet its small thing but he mentions when talking about DR and BDR that routers have a default priority but if you read through he book first you know that is default of 1 and that leads your brain down related stories such as don’t want something to become DR or BDR then choose 0 or if you want it to be something else he specifically mentions in the video as he did in book you can increase the priority.

So each thought about something leads you to things related to that thought. While the material Is also covered in-depth on these web pages its slightly different and the videos are sound instead of visual so another type as well.

I am telling you this really reinforces the information so buy the book read it get basic understanding and then study the web lessons it will cement the knowledge or at least it does for me!

Thanks Rene for a great lesson!

2 Likes