Introduction to Wireless LAN

Hello Rarylson

Thanks for your feedback, it’s always helpful for us to get such information to help improve lessons and to become an even better site for all of our users!

I think the issue you bring up is a good one, and it is important to be very clear. I think in this case, we need a clarification of specific terms. It depends upon your definition of roaming. The term is often used loosely for various things.

Strictly speaking, roaming is what happens when a wireless client disconnects from one access point and connects to another as the client physically moves from the range of the first to the range of the second. But roaming also includes the mechanisms that make that handoff seamless. That means that any communication taking place, such as a video conversation, for example, will experience no discontinuity during the handoff. That requires specific mechanisms that can only be delivered using a WLC.

Simply moving from one access point to another with the same SSID in a home environment is not considered roaming, with the strict definition that we have established above. However, because the term is often used loosely, as I said, based on context, we can use the word roaming to describe such a situation as well. However, those mechanisms that deliver seamless handoff are not present in such a situation.

Now having said all that, it looks like Rene used the strict definition in his Introduction to Wirelesss LAN lesson, and the loose definition in his Service Sets lesson. Based on context, I believe his hope was that this was clear.

However, I will share this info with Rene and have him look over the content to make any necessary changes he sees fit.

Thanks again for your feedback, it’s invaluable!

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz