IPv6 Summarization Example

OMG I cannot believe how easy IPV6 is. Granted this is my first time passing through these lessons and if I didn’t recover or think about what I just learned it could easily be forgotten but you really have me looking at it differently.

I like to count backwards from right to left when doing my summaries and one thing about hex that makes it easy is that its in blocks of 4 “0000” so its always “8 4 2 1” those are easy numbers to work with and that part is just simple math but more pattern and grouping really and I love patterns and groupings its how my mind tends to associate and think.

so find the like pattern then count from left to right (that’s your first pattern grouping) then count backwards from right to left and stop just where your pattern ends and blam you have your summary. Now the tricky part was what you mention about making sure to not go from decimal to binary. I did that as well treating the 12 as the first octet. when it was actually a “1” and a “2” but other than being careful with that summarization is easy with IPV6.

who would have thought I would be able to do that when I first started looking at IPV6 for my COMPTIA and even later for my CCENT and then CCNA I was like this is something only some really crazy smart person could get its not ever going to be usable or practicable but now with these lessons something has just clicked into place and I went from that to wow I can do this and really its easy…

Great Lesson!

1 Like