MPLS VPN Configuration Example

Take a look at this example where I configure RIP, it explains what the network command really does:

If you are just fresh out of CCNA R&S then I would recommend to start learning about OSPF, EIGRP and BGP on CCNP level. If you try to dive into MPLS right away you’ll run into a brick wall :slight_smile:

Your rip tutorial only explains classful and classless routing protocol which I already know. However, your OSPF uses a wildcard mask of 0.0.0.0 which means that only that specific ip add is advertised to that neighbor. It doesnt answer my question.

Hi Cla,

It also explains how the network command really works…

For example, let’s say we configured 192.168.12.1 /24 on the interface then any of the following OSPF network commands will advertise the exact same thing (192.168.12.0 /24):

network 192.168.12.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
network 192.168.12.1 0.0.0.0 area 0
network 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0
network 192.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 area 0

The network command does not specify what you advertise, it only activates OSPF on the interface and advertises the network on it if it falls within the range of the network command.

Rene

Hi Rene,

how are you? I hope you feel very good. I have a problem to understand deeply the command:
“address-family ipv4 unicast” in configurations. This command is a little bit confusing, could you please help me to understand it?

Best regards
Seydou

Hi Seydou,

I’m doing good, thanks for asking…hope you as well!

The version of BGP we use nowadays is called “MP-BGP” (Multi-Protocol). In short, this means BGP is able to exchange not only IPv4 prefixes but also some other things like IPv6 prefixes or VPN routes.

The address-families represent these different types of information. IPv4 unicast is for IPv4 prefixes, IPv6 unicast is for IPv6 prefixes, VPN is for VPN routes that we use for MPLS VPN.

Hope that helps!

Rene

Hi Rene,

It’s nice to see your post on MPLS VPN.

Can you also please add some contents on MPLS Traffic Engineering, RSVP and QoS things

Thank you

BR
Taslim

Hi Taslim,

Glad to hear you like it. I will add these topics for sure, hopefully in a few weeks.

Rene

Rene,
Great lesson we do have VRFs in our environment. What does the command
show mpls forwarding-table tells about tags and pop tag. I meant to ask why we have two tags. Please clarify.

Thanks
Hamood

Hi Rene,

Greetings.

I must say, your lessons are very understandable and to the point. Thanks a tonne for your efforts. However, could you please tell me if you have a topic for Option A,Option B and Option C MPLS. Would be really of great help.

Thanks a lot

Zeeshan

Hi Zeeshan,

Glad to hear you like it!

At the moment I don’t have anything for option A,B and C. Since it’s not on the R&S blueprint I never wrote about it.

Once I work on the SP/DC material, I’ll make sure to add it.

Rene

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: MPLS VPN Configuration Example

Hi Rene

It would be great if you have write up the lesson for MPLS L3 VPN over Mgre , this is a most demanding topic which help enterprise network to have its own MPLS VPN without the need LSP

Thanks

Hi @ReneMolenaar do you have any other related topics with regards to Traffic Engineering with MPLS for an ISP Level?

Hello Stelios

At this point in time, everything about MPLS is found within the MPLS course shown below:

If you would like to see traffic engineering or any other concept included in the content of NetworkLessons, use the Member Ideas page shown below to make your suggestions. You may find that others have had similar requests, in which case you can add your voice to the rest.

In the meantime, a very comprehensive Cisco document that covers the topic can be found below. It’s somewhat old, but still valid for getting started.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz