OSPF Router ID

Renee

Hoe gaat het in Nederland meneer

I have a question please on the use of the router ID - the question is this … when I DO NOT configure a router ID on my OSPF routers in my lab network BUT I AM using Loopback interfaces (and as expected given OSPF rules) my single Loopback interface(s) (with Loopback 0 only configured per router) … will be used as the router ID … so no problem there … however when I configure a unique and different router ID, i.e. NOT my loopback interface 0 … as my router ID this will become my dominant ‘neigbor ID’ presumably when forming adjanceies with other routers … again no problem i think ! in terms of understanding the concept … however my confusion begins in terms of understanding why (as i have seen in a few working exmaples) anybody would use a router ID that was different to your loopback interface ID or best loopback interface … this being from the perspective of ‘loopback interface’ is regarded as the king of interfaces in ospf right ?? so what advantage if any would one have or even disadvantage of configuring a router ID that was different to your actual loopback (or highest) llopback interface ?

Many Thanks

Will V