Power over Ethernet (PoE)

Guys, lessons is very cool (I didn’t knew about the most recent type3/type4 standards, so it was a very good lesson to keep myself updated).

But I guess there is an issue:

1.2. Midspan

The PoE midspan method uses PoE injectors […]. These are intelligent devices, and like a PoE switch, they detect whether the PD requires power and, if so, enables power.

There are (rackmount) midspans that can power many cables

[PHOTO]

Or small PoE injectors you can use to power a single device

[PHOTO]

Then there is this image here, a single-device Ubiquity PoE injector.

The problem is that most single-device Ubiquity PoE injectors are not intelligent PoE devices (at least it was true at the time when I worked with them). They just add power on the wire, and they could “burn” a non-PoE device connected by mistake.

The explanation may make people misunderstand that the device on the photo is intelligent, although it is not.

If this is true, maybe you should update the explanation accordingly. Something like:

The PoE midspan method uses PoE injectors […].

There are (rackmount) midspans that can power many cables

[PHOTO]

These are intelligent devices, and like a PoE switch, they detect whether the PD requires power and, if so, enables power.

Or small PoE injectors you can use to power a single device

[PHOTO]

Some small PoE injectors, like the one from the image above, are not intelligent devices and just add power on the wire without previously detecting whether the connected device requires power. If not, the device may be damaged.

Does it make sense?

Update: I saw that, at some point in the lesson, you state:

There is also something called Passive PoE. This is not based on any standard and basically, this is a PoE injector that adds power immediately without negotiation. Because power is always on, it’s possible to burn out devices that don’t support PoE.

So, the explanation about Passive PoE is there. So maybe a single-line change that you can do to make the lesson accurate is:

The PoE midspan method uses PoE injectors […]. These usually are intelligent devices, and like a PoE switch, they detect whether the PD requires power and, if so, enables power.

1 Like