Troubleshooting Inter-VLAN Routing

Hello Asen

Great to hear that you resolved the issue. What in particular was the specific issue that caused the routing to fail in your first topology?

I don’t have a direct answer for you on this one, as it is difficult for us to help in troubleshooting non-network issues. However, doing some research myself, I suggest you try the following as a possible troubleshooting process:

The “Guest has not initialized the display (yet)” error message usually occurs when the virtual machine display is not properly configured or if the guest OS has not started properly. Here are a few steps to help you troubleshoot and resolve this issue:

1. Check VM configuration:
    Ensure that the VM’s display configuration is set to use either VNC or Spice, depending on your preference. These are parameters that can be configured directly on the VM itself.
  2. Verify guest OS boot settings:
    Ensure that the guest OS is properly booting. You can do this by opening the VM’s console directly in VirtualBox and observing the boot process.
  3. Check guest OS display drivers:
    Make sure that the appropriate display drivers are installed in the guest OS. For example, if you’re using a Linux guest OS, you may need to install the QXL driver for Spice, or the appropriate driver for VNC.
  4. Network connectivity:
    Ensure that there are no network connectivity issues between the host machine and the remote client. Double-check your firewall settings to make sure that the VNC or Spice ports are open and accessible.
  5. Update VirtualBox and guest OS:
    Sometimes it just has to do with bugs or issues that both VirtualBox and the guest OS have. Make sure that both VirtualBox and the guest OS are up to date. Sometimes, updating to the latest versions can resolve these compatibility issues and bugs.

You should also gather more information from the log files, such as the QEMU log or the guest OS logs, that will help you to identify the root cause and find a solution.

Some of these you may have already seen in your own research, however, hopefully this will give you some more insight into your troubleshooting process.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Thank you for your answer, and detailed troubleshooting steps, Laz.

@lagapidis :
Great to hear that you resolved the issue. What in particular was the specific issue that caused the routing to fail in your first topology?

The ingress part of the static route was missing (from the LAN perspective). It wasn’t possible to be done with the GNS3’s NAT- Cloud (it is not configurable), hence the router I added (eventually will be replaced with ASA or pfSense/OPNsense when the previously noted display- issue will be resolved).

I am working with the GNS3’ guys on its solution.

Thank you, and Best Regards,

Asen

P.S.
To the VirtualBox appliances I have already mentioned, I just added a Kali Linux instance with added Armitage (Metasploit GUI- Front-End), and an instance of Metasploitable2, all set-up, and ready for use. Also, I am working now on an appliance of Ubuntu Server LTS with a Mail-server so the Phishing part of the security labs to look genuine.

Hello Asen

Thanks for the valuable feedback, your contribution is appreciated!

Laz

This has been bugging me for a while now. This seems to mean you can’t terminate your ISP directly to the L3 switch and have it route between vlans. Works great when they all are in the same vlan but will not work if you put them all in seperate vlans. The attached chart indicates no WAN support and WAN interfaces for L3 switches. Please comment. Thanks

Hello Donald

The terms “WAN support” and “WAN interface” can be misleading when we talk about devices capable of connecting to the Internet. They are often used loosely to refer to specific capabilities of a device.

The truth is that nothing prevents you from connecting your Layer 3 switch to the ISP and performing inter-VLAN routing between your WAN connection and your internal LAN subnets.

Some cheaper vendors that offer edge routers (sometimes xDSL or cable routers) will label their routed port as the “WAN” port. This is useful for those not as well-versed in networking. This is just a routed port, nothing more.

So what does it mean then when it says no WAN interfaces? It simply means there’s no dedicated interface to be used with the WAN, that may have some predefined policies or mechanisms suitable for connections to the ISP. It may also mean that it doesn’t support some additional WAN physical interfaces such as xDSL, Cable, T1/E1, Serial, or others…

What does it mean when it says it doesn’t have WAN support? This is a bit more vague, and depends upon what the vendor considers WAN support. It typically means that the device does not support WAN protocols such as PPP, HDLC, Frame relay or other similar ones. It may also mean that QoS features are not available, or that some routing protocols typically used at the edge of a network, such as BGP may not be available. To determine what it actually means, you must take a closer look at the vendor’s documentation.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz