Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA)

Hello,

I’d like to ask for clarification regarding the following question:

1. The ENCOR OCG shows the following WLC page (sorry about the grainy image, it’s like that in the book):

WPA2 Policy is selected in this example. However, I see that GCMP encryption types can also be selected. What is the reason why this is offered, if only WPA3 can use GCMP, while the other WPA versions can’t?

1. This table is from the CCNA OCG:

Comparing the two images, I can see why the WLC would offer a WPA+WPA2 combo (because both can use CCMP, while WPA3 can’t), but why is a WPA2+WPA3 combo offered? The CCNA OCG table shows that WPA2 and WPA3 have no common encryption and MIC algorithm. The only things they have in common is that they both support PSK and 802.1x, but by that logic, there would have to be a WPA+WPA3 combo as well, because those two also have them in common. Yet, there is no such combination. The only answer I could think of is that clients can use both, and that one is picked that the client can support.

The ENCOR OCG does say that hybrid mode is possible in case some legacy devices still use WPA, but that still doesn’t answer the question why hybrid mode is only allowed for WPA+WPA2, and not for WPA+WPA3.

Can someone please help me find the answers?

Thank you.
Happy New Year to Everyone! :slight_smile:
Attila