Bandwidth Management

Hi All, Currently I’m seeking for bandwidth manager/limiter for the enterprise to work with, and learn, do we have such product by Cisco, or we have to use some third party tool, please give me complete details.

Hello Khan

It all really depends on what you want to do. If you just want to limit your traffic rates and bandwidth at the edge of your network, then you can just use the built in QoS mechanisms of policing and shaping. You can do this on a per host, per application or per subnet basis so you do have quite a bit of granularity there. This can be implemented on any QoS capable IOS edge router so you don’t need specialized equipment. Take a look at Units 3 and 4 of the QoS section of the NetworkLessons site below for more information on what these features are and do, and how they can be used for what you need:

Now if you want to do something more sophisticated such as WAN optimization, then you might need to take a look at Cisco’s line of SD-WAN options. This can also include features such as security and web caching.

Defining what you need is an integral part of being able to then find the best solution for those needs. I hope this has given you a good start as to thinking about the specifics concerning your enterprise network’s particular needs.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz