Ccna 200-301

Hello Renee,
Starting on prepping for the new CCNA 200-301 and its a bit confusing in regards to the routing protocols. Looking at Cisco’s exam outline, I don’t see EIGRP just OSPFv2. Is that right? I thought EIGRP was Cisco’s proprietary protocol. Are they getting rid of it?

Thank you in advance for your time on this subject.

Hello Benjamin

It is true that CCNA 200-301 doesn’t have EIGRP as part of the curriculum. Just OSPF is included as far as dynamic routing goes. This is because many other topics were included such as wireless, security, network programmability, as well as SDN. This required that something be removed from other sections. Even though EIGRP is Cisco proprietary, they have decided to keep only OSPF. I don’t know first hand why this is, but I suspect that Cisco wants to ensure that the certification has a broader scope than just Cisco equipment. EIGRP is focused on in the CCNP level certifications…

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hi there,

just want to briefly mention, even though EIGRP is not in the syllabus for CCNA 200-301, at least 2 people making study guides have confirmed (by taking the test itself) - EIGRP is actually in the exam questions. This was rumored and it seems it is true. Also, BGP seems to be present. I won’t mention names, as I don’t think it is appropriate, but seems like Cisco is making shadow additions to the test, which are not in the syllabus for the program.

Edit : As far as I know, the official certification books by Wendell Odom also include EIGRP and VTP topics - both are not mentioned in the exam topics on the Cisco site.

Best regards,
Nick

Hello Nickolay

Thanks for pointing this out, it’s always good to get as much inside information as possible so people can be prepared. Cisco has always been very general when it comes to the blueprints for certification exam topics, and the topics list for CCNA 200-301 is no exception. Because of its generality, you could argue that many other concepts be included in each topic listed, and there would be no way to refute this.

For example, in sections 3.1 Interpret the components of routing table, and 3.2, Determine how a router makes a forwarding decision by default, it could be argued that EIGRP is included as one of the dynamic routing methods, and must be included to understand things like routing protocol codes, administrative distance, and metrics. So in this sense, EIGRP and BGP may actually appear.

However, I don’t believe that there are any detailed and in depth questions for EIGRP or BGP, however, if someone would like to share their experiences in more detail, it would be helpful to to others.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

I received a badge from cisco on youracclaim related to my CCNA RS : “Understanding of Cisco Network Devices” and “Cisco Verified Level 200 completed” . Anyone got the same ?

1 Like

Yes me too. Everyone with the “old CCNA” automatically receives the new CCNA 200-301 certification.

1 Like

Hello Lazaros,

to be fair, here is a statement from the official Cisco page with the exam topics :

The following topics are general guidelines for the content likely to be included on the exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam. To better reflect the contents of the exam and for clarity purposes, the guidelines below may change at any time without notice.

And as you requested - on my ICND2 exam, which I passed recently, there were detailed BGP questions (even though the topics were saying only basic configuration of BGP with the network command may be included). For example, I remember getting a question about the different BGP port states during BGP neighbor negotiation. This is mentioned here by Rene, but on official Netacad course - I don’t believe it was.

As for the badge - yes, I got it too. I also got the new CCNA badge for the new course - all active CCNA holders were migrated during the last 7 days to have the new certification active as well.

Best regards,
Nick

Hello Nickolay

Thanks for sharing that with us. It seems that occasionally there are additional bits of various other topics that Cisco reserves the right to add to exams. What can I say, just be ready for anything! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Laz

1 Like