Cisco ASA ASDM Configuration

Hello,
I’m having trouble installing asdm and configuring it. I see that my ASA has asdm software disk0:/asdm-713.bin. The ASA is Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.1(2). I checked the specs for java and got jre8 561. Not sure what else I should look at. My laptop is connected to the inside. Inside address is 10.0.0.254. I tried to browse to https://10.0.0.254 and it times out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

Hello Ken

Take a look at the following lesson that details how to set up ASDM on an ASA and see if following these steps will resolve your issue:

In addition, this official document from Cisco describes in detail all the requirements for using ASDM 7.13(x).

I have found that Java has been the biggest headache for me when configuring ASDM, as particular versions of the runtime environment need to be installed, often requiring a downgrade to get it to work. However, in your case, you are seeing a timeout, which itself seems to indicate a network issue. Take a look at the various notes and compatibilities in the shared document. Also I suggest you use some debugs on the ASA to see if you are actually reaching the ASA and what kind of error message may appear. A particular lesson that may help you in this troubleshooting is the following:

Let us know how you get along!

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

Hello Laz,
Thanks and sorry for my late reply. I will take a look at this. Really appreciate it.

Ken

1 Like

I’m now getting this message:

The connection for this site is not secure 192.168.1.1 uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
Unsupported protocol
The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.

Hello Ken

This error message appears on your web browser when you attempt to connect to the ASA, correct? If so, this is typically a problem that appears when the browser is set to accept only certain security parameters.

Take a look at this Cisco community thread to see if there are parameters that you can change to get it to work.

Another option would be to try a different browser. Or you could do a search online for the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH error on a browser, and there are many different configurations that you can apply to get it to work.

Let us know how you get along!

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

Hey thanks a lot for your help. I finally got it working. I did a lot of research from your suggestions. I was able to telnet to it and ssh to it. I did some debugs. I did some research to tls and different browsers. I finally went to firefox which seemed like the easiest to work with and was able to download the asdm and install it on an old laptop that I had laying around. I’m so happy. Thanks guys!

Hello Ken

That’s great, glad to have helped in your troubleshooting process, and thanks for letting us know of your results!

Laz

1 Like

Next step is remote vpn to my home network.

1 Like