Cisco IOS SPAN and RSPAN

Hello Marcus

By default, SPAN and RSPAN sessions will only send untagged packets to the destination port. In addition, control traffic such as CDP, VTP, DTP, STP, PAgP, LACP and others are not captured by default. However, you can use the encapsulation replicate keywords when configuring a destination port, and the following will take place:

• Packets are sent to the destination port with the same encapsulation as they arrive on the monitored port, whether tagged or untagged.
  • Packets of all types, including those of the protocols mentioned above, for both layer 2 and layer 3 are also captured and sent to the destination port.

Now note that this is only the case for local SPAN. RSPAN does not support the encapsulation replicate functionality, so if you want to capture STP packets and BPDUs, then you must use SPAN.

Just a note, you mention STP events, but I assume you mean BPDUs. If you want to see STP events then you can use the appropriate debug commands on the CLI of the switch in question. Take a look at the following Cisco documentation for more info:

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

HI i created span with source as 3 vlans but i am getting traffic from only one vlan

type              : local
state             : up
acl-name          : acl-name not specified
source intf       : 
    rx            : 
    tx            : 
    both          : 
source VLANs      : 
    rx            : 734-736
    tx            : 734-736
    both          : 734-736
filter VLANs      : filter not specified
source fwd drops  : 
destination ports : Eth1/33   
source VSANs      : 
    rx            :

I am receiving traffic from only one vlan 736

Hello Pavan

In order to help in the troublshooting process, please share with us your SPAN configuration as well. Please let us know the platform you are running on, the IOS version, and also, describe to us the kind of test traffic that you created in order to capture data using SPAN.

Now having said that, I can tell you what I believe may be happening. It looks like all three VLANs are configured to capture both incoming and outgoing traffic. However, some platforms, such as certain Nexus devices, are capable of only supporting incoming traffic on VLANs when they are specified to participate in SPAN, even though they have been configured for both incoming and outgoing. Could it be that yours is such a case and your traffic is incoming on one VLAN and outgoing on the other two, so you are only getting traffic from one VLAN? Try both sending and receiving traffic on all VLANs to verify.

If this is not the case, then weā€™ll have to take a look at the details you send us to further help you in the troubleshooting process.

Laz

Hi,

yes you are right i am using Nexus 9k

i have two nexus switches and created a span port on each device. I am seeing traffic on one switch and not on another even though it has the same configurationā€¦

Nexus is not allowing two destination ports to connect in same switch.in the monitor session

In the above scenario i have getting traffic only one way RTP traffic and not the other.

and i tried with cisco IOS with two destination ports as below

monitor session 2 destination interface Gi2/19 - 20
GigabitEthernet2/19 is up, line protocol is down (monitoring)
GigabitEthernet2/20 is up, line protocol is down (monitoring)

Both went down. Atleast one should be up right

Hello Pavan

When it comes to SPAN on a Nexus device, keep the following in mind:

• When you specify a VLAN as a SPAN source, all supported interfaces in the VLAN are SPAN sources
  • VLANs can be SPAN sources only in the ingress direction

For more details about SPAN on a Nexus 9K take a look at this link:

Now, these facts may be the reason for the behavior of your monitoring sessions. It could be that on one switch the RTP traffic is incoming, while on the other it is outgoing, so you only see SPAN traffic captured on one device.

As for the use of two destination ports on an IOS device, I believe it depends on the platform. As far as I know, and after looking at the documentation for various platforms, multiple destination ports are indeed allowed within the same SPAN session. Platforms that allow this, give you the option of specifying a range, as you did in your configuration. Platforms that donā€™t allow this wonā€™t give you this option.

I suggest you troubleshoot the reason for those ports going down. Can you share your SPAN configuration with us so we can help you further in your troubleshooting process?

Laz

Hi, I understand the SPAN/RSPAN configuration. What should we configure for the destination port (the port that is connected to the sniffer)? I think I saw you recommended that no parameters are needed for the destination port. Do you mean I just need to enable the port thats all? Like below? Thank you.

#int fa0/0
#no shut

Hello Leon

As soon as you enter this command:

Switch(config)#monitor session 1 destination interface fa0/2

You will lose any configuration you may have had on that interface. By default, that interface will function. You can however add some configs to the interface once you configure it as a destination, such as allowing the interface to receive traffic from the sniffer (so that it has internet access for example).

Laz

What happens if there are 3 switches? In other words, lets say that the source interface we want to monitor is on SW1, then we would simply execute the following commands on SW1 as the lesson describes.

SW1(config)#monitor session 1 source interface fastEthernet 0/1
SW1(config)#monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 100

Lets say the destination port is on SW3, then on SW3 we would simply execute the following commands on SW3:

SW3(config)#monitor session 1 source remote vlan 100
SW3(config)#monitor session 1 destination interface fastEthernet 0/1

But lets say SW2 is in the middle, what would we have to configure on SW2? Would we have to configure anything on SW2 at all other than the remote-span VLAN? Iā€™m guessing not because the traffic would just pass through VLAN 100, is that correct?

Hello Mike

If you have one or more intermediate switches between the switches that have the source and destination interfaces configured on them, then you must manually define the RSPAN VLAN on all those intermediate switches, and you must allow that VLAN on the trunks that connect the switches. In addition, you must issue the following command on all intermediate switches:

Switch1(config)# vlan 100
Switch1(config-vlan)# remote-span
Switch1(config-vlan)# end

You would then need to allow VLAN 100 on the trunk ports that connect to the source and destination switches. The reason for this is that RSPAN VLANs are specialized VLANs that behave differently than other VLANs. For one thing, they donā€™t perform any MAC address learning. Secondly, they can only be assigned to trunk ports and not access ports. And thirdly, this way you ensure that all captured traffic, including control frames, are successfully sent through the network to the destination SPAN port.

Laz

Thank you, this answers my question perfectly!

1 Like