Cisco SD-WAN Device and Feature Templates

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

Hi, I see some field is “Device Specific” but I don’t see any picture we need input value into this field

Hello Gioi

For each item in the Basic Configuration section, there is a mini dropdown menu from which you can choose one of three options. These options are depicted using icons, which I have listed below:

image - Global
image - Device specific
image - Default

Not all options have all three available. For example, the Site ID doesn’t have a Default available because it is unique to each individual device. When you choose Device Specific, it allows you to manually input values, such as that shown for the system site ID.

When you choose Global or Default, you don’t have to input any values as those are automatically populated.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

Hi Rene,
Could you please explain about GPS and Tracker in template config.

Hello Kanu

These are additional parameters that you can set for Viptela devices. The details of each tab are further described in the following Cisco Viptela documentation:

https://sdwan-docs.cisco.com/Product_Documentation/vManage_Help/Release_18.4/Configuration/Templates/System

If you have any further questions, please let us know!

Laz

Hi Rene and Laz,

What is the point of the template if we still have to add the device to vmanage.
In your notes you mentioned that the we attach the device, but the device needs to be added first to vmanage?

Shouldn’t the template automatically discover and add the vmanage?

Hello Champion

A prerequisite of using templates is having the device added to the vManage controller. It is actually via the vManage interface that you can configure the devices that use templates. So templates don’t solve the problem of automatic discovery and addition to the vManage controller, but they deliver a more scalable way of configuring large numbers of devices.

Laz

This is in reference to the SDWAN training class for “Device and Feature Templates”.
I believe that we have to configure some basic settings on vedge and make it available in the vmanage. Only thereafter, we should be able to configure these devices using the templates. You have direclty shown that devices are already available in vManage and apply the templates to it.
Kindly clarify the minimun settings required to add the vEdge to vManage first.

Hello Saifuddin

Yes, you are correct! Actually, this lesson is part of a larger course on SD-WAN, and many of the tasks needed to bring the setup to the point it is in at the beginning of the lesson take place in previous lessons. The whole course with the lessons in order can be found here:

The process of applying the basic settings needed on the vEdge to make it available in the vManage is called vEdge onboarding. Information about vEdge onboarding can be found at the following lesson:

Laz