Cisco SD-WAN Hub and Spoke Topology

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

Hi Rene,
Thanks for your video. What if I want a hub and spoke topology, but I still want a communication between the Spokes (Through the HUB).
In this example we see that the communications between spokes is now impossible.
Thanks
Nicolas

Hello Nicolas

I think there may be confusion as far as what we mean when we say hub-and-spoke.

The default behavior of an SD-WAN topology is full mesh. This means that all sites can communicate with each other directly. The hub and spoke topology that Rene mentioned in the lab refers to the restriction of allowing each vEdge to communicate ONLY with the central site, and not communicate with any other vEdge device. This is not to be confused with hub and spoke topologies such as DMVPN for example.

What you are suggesting is a third option of operation, which is to force the SD-WAN topology to function as a hub-and-spoke topology and have all communication between sites routed through the hub site rather than directly between vEdge devices, correct? Kind of like a DMVPN Phase 1 situation.

You can direct traffic within the SD-WAN topology to force it to behave in a hub-and-spoke manner using various methods including the VPN topology configuration, routing, data policies, as well as policies that manipulate OMP route advertisement to influence the SD-WAN overlay. SD-WAN was not designed for this, but it can be done. What method you choose really depends upon what you want to achieve.

The question I have however is why would you want to do this? The purpose of this particular lesson is to restrict communication between vEdge devices, not to actually create a hub and spoke topology where traffic is routed through the hub. If you can answer the why, then we can then move on to further discuss the appropriate solution.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

Hello Laz,
Thank you for this detailed answer.

Imagine I have only MPLS underlay with different SP (many MPLS SP) tow sites each attached to an MPLS SP that need to communicate together through the hub (that have connectivity to both MPLS SP must be able to receive the routes of each other’s for example. Adding a default route could be a solution right?
Nicolas

Hello Nicolas

OK I understand. So by design, your initial “underlay” network is such that there are parts of the network that can’t communicate directly. So you have multiple MPLS service providers, and you have a particular site that is connected to two (or more) MPLS networks that acts as the “hub” for communication between entities in those MPLS networks.

So if you have topology where two vEdge devices cannot communicate directly over the underlay due to the restrictions you describe, but can each communicate with the main site where the controllers are hosted, the Cisco SD-WAN fabric will inherently handle the situation to a certain extent. The system’s OMP and TLOC properties will play a role in determining viable paths.

If direct communication between two vEdges is not possible due to underlay restrictions, the tunnel establishment will fail. However, even if a direct path isn’t available, the vEdge devices are aware (thanks to OMP and TLOC information) of other vEdges they can communicate with. In your scenario, both restricted vEdges can communicate with the main site. Thus, when they need to exchange data, the traffic will inherently use the main site as a relay point since a direct path isn’t viable. This is part of the SD-WAN’s inherent path decision mechanism.

So based on the OMP path attributes, the vEdge will choose the best available path. If the direct path is unavailable, it will select another path, like through the main site.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz