Cisco SD-WAN Plug and Play Connect Device Licenses

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

Very important lesson, thanks for that.
Still very annoying cisco did that. I am in between jobs so I have only personal account which " does not have the privileges required to access “Manage Smart Account”" , but I will open a ticket in case cisco can help.

1 Like

Quoted from the lesson:

If you want to add vEdge or cEdge licenses to your Cisco SD-WAN network, you’ll need some device “licenses”. In Cisco SD-WAN versions before 20.x, it was possible to skip this. If you build a lab using version 20.X or later, you need to create these licenses on the Cisco.com website and import them on your vManage controller. If you use version 20.x or later, follow this lesson and I’ll explain how to create these licenses.

As per above license requirement can be skipped if we use 19.x, trying to figure out how? if someone has already did it then please let me know

If I have organization name ABCDEF, what changes are needed below to generate the Root CA

openssl req -x509 -new -nodes -key ROOT-CA.key -sha256 -days 3652 \
-subj "https://cdn.networklessons.com/C=NL/ST=NL/O=nwl-lab-sdwan/CN=vmanage1.lab.nwl.ai" \
-out ROOT-CA.pem

Any way if I want to skip the vBond IP meaning I dont want to stick with one IP. There can be any topology and I can work. I have seen one Serial.viptela File where any vBond IP can be used but that is no more valid.
Can i mention 0.0.0.0 in vBond IP and use any IP with any lab
any thought?

Hello Asif

The particular attributes that are in your post are X.509 attributes. In particular, they are:

CN: CommonName
OU: OrganizationalUnit
O: Organization
L: Locality
S: StateOrProvinceName
C: CountryName

If you want to change the organization name to ABDCDEF you would change the “O” attribute like so:

O=ABCDEF

For more info about the X.509 certificate attributes, take a look at this documentation.

As for the vBond IP, when you onboard a vEdge, you must specify the IP address of the vBond controller as seen in the initial config of the vEdge device here:

The question is, can you use 0.0.0.0 as the vBond IP address or any other IP address? This is strictly a licensing issue, and the only way to find out is to try. Can you do a bit of experimentation and let us know what results you get?

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Is there a workaround for not having a business account? I don’t want to use the 20.x code but I will if I have to.