DHCP Client on Cisco IOS

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

Hi Rene,

Not clear about the default static route when configuring Router as DHCP client. It will autometically installed in Routing table & why the AD value will be 254 ??Thanks for your so nice cooperation as always.

br//
zaman

Mohammad,
The Administrative Distance is so high because it is deemed to be the least reliable method of routing. With an AD of 254, a default route introduced by any routing protocol, or any default route manually entered, will take precedence. Think of the DHCP supplied default route as a “default route of last resort.”

Awesome.
It was my first configuration.
i m very thankful to you.
your explanation is amazing.

The IOS I’m using in GNS3 does have the ip dhcp pool command. It unfortunately does not have the ip address dhcp command.

It is probably a too old IOS ?

Hello Maodo

Hmmm that’s interesting. According to Cisco, the ip address dhcp command was added to the 12.1(2)T version of IOS. What IOS version are you using?

Laz

Hello Laz,

I will have to add my 2 cents on this. I work with different Cisco devices everyday and sometime I will be supporting a supervisor linecard which doesn’t have ip add dhcp command feature on it regardless of their version. Also some cisco ASA don’t have this command

Hello sales2161

This does seem to happen sometimes, where commands are unavailable on some IOS versions when they should be there. Sometimes on GNS3, sometimes on real equipment. The best thing to do in such situations is to visit the Cisco Feature Navigator which is the go-to source for all IOS information. There you will find which features are available from which IOS versions from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Hi Lazaros,
Does client act as a host computer or as a router?

Hello,
Can you clarify more on your question?

Hello Muhammad

A DHCP client can be any device that can obtain an IP address via DHCP. This could be a computer, it could be an interface on a router (as in the lesson). Specifically for Cisco IOS routers, you can configure a router as a DHCP server, and you can also configure any interface of a router as a DHCP client.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz