Dynamic Vlan

Hi! where can I find a lesson for dynamic vlan? thanks!

Hello Albert

Dynamic VLANs use what is called a VLAN Membership Policy Server (VMPS), which is used to create a centralized method of selecting the VLAN for a port dynamically, based on the MAC address of the connected device. As the device moves from port to port, the assigned VLAN “follows” it as the switch dynamically assigns the proper VLAN for that particular host.

There is no lesson on NetworkLessons about VMPS, since it is not explicitly mentioned as a topic in any of the certifications included on the site, but you can take a look at this Cisco documentation for more information:

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

Thank you! a quick question. What happen when creating a vlan to a multilayer switch with no ip address assigned and an untagged port connecting to the fw with assigned ip address on the port, same subnet with all Servers (with DHCP scope) and PC’s? Does it work? The switch has different subnet.

Hello Albert

So if I understand correctly, you’ve created a VLAN in the multi-layer switch. This VLAN has no SVI configured and thus has no IP address. You’ve connected a firewall to an access port on this VLAN, and an IP address is assigned to the firewall. That IP address is on the same subnet as other servers and PCs that are on the same VLAN, correct?

If that is the case, that firewall will be able to communicate with all devices that are connected to ports on the same VLAN, and are configured with IP addresses in the same subnet. This is exactly the same as if you were using a Layer 2 switch connecting all the devices together on the same VLAN.

In such a case, you would have to configure another device, such as the firewall, to function as the default gateway of all the devices on this VLAN/subnet.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

Tested and it worked.

Thank you, Laz

1 Like