EIGRP Named Mode Configuration

This topic is to discuss the following lesson:

Nice feature!

I agree, it’s nice to configure everything under 1 process.

what is address-family?

Hi Lina,

The address-family is the “protocol” that the routing protocol supports. In this example, EIGRP supports IPv4 and IPv6.

Another example is MP-BGP (Multi Protocol BGP). It supports multiple protocols:

- IPv4 unicast
- IPv4 multicast
- IPv6 unicast
- IPv6 multicast
- VPN Routes (for MPLS)

Each of these different “protocols” are configured under a different address-family.

Rene

1 Like

with named mode, are we supposed to do route summary at interface level (old style) or it is should be done under af-interface?

Hi Lokesh,

It should be done under af-interface:

R1(config-router)#address-family ipv4 autonomous-system 1
R1(config-router-af)#af-interface fa0/0
R1(config-router-af-interface)#summary-address ?

Rene

1 Like

can i check this in Gns 3 ? i cant find it under 7200

I don’t think GNS3 supports any IOS images that support this, maybe IOU does. I tried this example on a CSR1000v router so that’s also a good option.

Hi All,

GNS3 is supporting it features with 7200 model Version 15.2(4)S3.

I have tested it.

Sanjiv

Please help me understand why you say everything is done globally. First, from global config mode, you have to go into named mode configuration; then you go into address-family mode; then, for each address family, you go into af-interface mode, topology base mode or whatever other mode there is. Frankly speaking, I wouldn’t care much for EIGRP Named Mode configuration if it wasn’t for the fact that you have to if you want to pass Cisco’s exam.

Hi Simon,

With the classic version of EIGRP, some commands were configured globally and others were done on the interface. For example, advertising networks is done globally under the EIGRP process and authentication or summarization is done on the interface level.

With named mode, everything is done in global mode under the router process but sometimes you have to jump to a “sub” section like the af-interface level.

Rene

1 Like

Rene - it seems like there is a lot that is done under topology base. Can you expand on that?

Hi William,

Under topology base you will find commands that have to do with the EIGRP topology table. Stuff like redistribution, filtering, etc. Here’s an overview of all commands:

R1(config-router)#router eigrp TEST                               
R1(config-router)#address-family ipv4 unicast autonomous-system 1 
R1(config-router-af)#topology base                                  
R1(config-router-af-topology)#?
Address Family Topology configuration commands:
  auto-summary         Enable automatic network number summarization
  cts                  EIGRP Trustsec Configuration
  default              Set a command to its defaults
  default-information  Control distribution of default information
  default-metric       Set metric of redistributed routes
  distance             Define an administrative distance
  distribute-list      Filter entries in eigrp updates
  eigrp                EIGRP specific commands
  exit-af-topology     Exit from Address Family Topology configuration mode
  maximum-paths        Forward packets over multiple paths
  metric               Modify metrics and parameters for advertisement
  no                   Negate a command or set its defaults
  offset-list          Add or subtract offset from EIGRP metrics
  redistribute         Redistribute IPv4 routes from another routing protocol
  snmp                 Modify snmp parameters
  summary-metric       Specify summary to apply metric/filtering
  timers               Adjust topology specific timers
  topo-interface       Enter Topology interface configuration
  traffic-share        How to compute traffic share over alternate paths
  variance             Control load balancing variance

Rene

1 Like

Hi Rene,

Could you please talk in deep about address-family and service-family?

Thanks,
Minh

Hi Minh,

Address-families are used for different protocols. For example, in EIGRP there is an address-family for IPv4 and another address-family for IPv6.

For BGP, there are address families for unicast, multicast, VPN routes and each of those for both IPv4 and IPv6.

The service family for EIGRP is used for SAF (Service Advertisement Framework). SAF is some framework that is used for Voice over IP. Instead of IPv4/IPv6, you can exchange SAF stuff with EIGRP .

Rene

2 Likes

Hi Rene ,

IN EIGRP NAME MODE , DO WE NEED TO BE SAME NAME in all of router within autonomous system.

Regard,
Aung

Hello Aung

When using EIGRP in name mode, you must use the same name for each instance of EIGRP that is running. This is done in the same way that you would configure a single Autonomous System number for each instance of EIGRP. If you are running multiple instances, then you would use multiple names.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

1 Like

Hi Lagapides ,

Thanks …Well understand this explanation…

1 Like

Hi Rane, can we put some light where we have mix mode ( named and as based)…will they form neighborhood each other…will they exchange route from each other…how to deal with it