EVE-NG -> home lab and topologies

Hi Community,

Anyone using EVE-NG for your labs? If so, you guys sharing the topologies?

https://www.eve-ng.net/

Ho

2 Likes

Hello Ho,

I use VIRL for most of my labs but I think EVE-NG is a great option.

Rene

2 Likes

I have used them all GNS, VIRL, and EVE-NG. Ihave to honestly say, EVE-NG is great. VIRL is good but it only limited to certain Cisco products, you can learn but our network environments contain more that router, switches, and firewalls. GNS is also good but the setup and configuration is not friendly. It uses alot of resources.This just my opinion …lol

1 Like

I use EVE-NG also, and I have to say I like it a lot. Just an FYI the Pro edition is on sale this Friday at 50% off then Monday Cisco will be having a sale for VIRL for 25% off(. You can use the VIRL images in EVE and GNS 3 also. I like Pro because you can add Rene’s books as a PDF and build your labs per his spec and follow along. It also runs on Google Cloud for an incredibly cheap price like Less then 30 cents an hour… for massive topologies. Anyway it’s worth checking out if interested.

1 Like

Just an FYI - Eve-NG-Pro is on sale today for 50% off and it installs on Google Cloud Platform in less than 10 minutes. I just wanted to share this info with all my fellow students that are looking to build a Home Lab at a reasonable cost, I’m not affiliated with them in any way, just trying to pass some helpful information along! Best of luck to everyone with their studies!
Mike

1 Like

Hello again - So today is the only day of the year (I think) that you can buy VIRL for 25% off! (50 USD) or $149 USD.

There’s is about three hours left for this sale for those that may be interested. As you may or may not know , it’s great stand alone (depending on your PC) and the images work with GNS3 and eve-no as well. Best wishes for your studies and I hope this can help someone with their Home Lab!
Mike

1 Like

I agree, i’ve used gns3 and eve and adding images is a pain but once the initial conf is done it does what it’s supposed to do.
Does IOSvL2 image does layer-3 switching?

Hello Irfan

According to this Cisco link (even though it is a bit old):

IOSvL2 is primarily a Layer-2 switch although Layer-3 control plane and data-plane functionality is also present in the image.

The above link also states that Layer 3 forwarding over SVIs and routing protocols (except for ISIS) are all supported features. So to answer your question, yes, IOSvL2 does perform fundamental L3 operations.

I hope this has been helpful!

Laz

yes, that’s very helpful.

Thanks,